OLD BIG BOSS Kentucky Straight Bourbon ???

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

OLD BIG BOSS Kentucky Straight Bourbon ???

Unread postby Mr.Nice_Guy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey,

my name is Phil and I am new to this site. I did find some bottles of around 30 years ols bourbon in our basement. It is called OLD BIG BOSS Kentucky Straight Borurbon and there is a picture of an old white bearded man on the front. Probably he is Big Boss. :-) It also reads ,For the Discriminating...Who Prefer a Smooth, Light Bodied Whiskey of Excellent Taste and Aroma`. Does someone know something about this whiskey as i have no idea whether it is worth drinking it or not.

Thanks

Phil
Mr.Nice_Guy

Re: OLD BIG BOSS Kentucky Straight Bourbon ???

Unread postby independant » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm

Welcome to BE.I don't know any thing about this bourbon but is the bourbon foggy looking. If not it should be ok to drink.
What proof is it? Is there a tax strip on it? Is there a distiller listed on the bottle? A picture would help.
If you crack it open tell us how it is.
independant

Unread postby Mr.Nice_Guy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:05 am

hey,

thanks for your fast answers.
here i have a picture of the bottle.
the whiskey is not foggy and it is 86 proof.
but there is no distiller on the bottle.

thanks
Mr.Nice_Guy

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:59 am

Since I don't see a tax stamp on the top we can determine it was probably bottled after that practice was discontinued. Another clue could be a two didget number on the bottom of the bottle. This would be the last two numbers of the year it was bottled. Is there the name of a city where it came from, or a DSP number? This would help a lot as to finding out who made it. I would say open it and try it, especially if you have more than one. People find full unopened old bottles from time to time. Most are not worth a huge amount of money. If something was rare and valuable, the guys on this site would recognize that right off.
PaulO

Unread postby independant » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Looking at the picture the bourbon looks fine to drink. What I did find odd about the bottle is it just says united states. Not the city it was distilled in or bottled in. Jeff do you think this wa because it is an exported bourbon?

If you open it tell us what you think of it.
independant

Unread postby mozilla » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 pm

I was hoping that the back label would yeild some additional info.
mozilla

Unread postby Mr.Nice_Guy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Hey,

I did ask my father about this whiskey and he said, that the bottle was a present from my uncle from Germany. That means the bottle was imported from the USA to Germany and my uncle brought it back the US, when visiting us. :?
By the way there was no back label. There are some numbers and signs on the bottem, but I can`t read it.
Perhaps I am going to open it very soon.
I did also find some Hallers SRS Whiskey and a large bottle of Jim Beam, which are also aged 30 years.

Phil
Mr.Nice_Guy

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Too bad you don't live in Louisville - I would like to see the bottle. It has a style that looks like a 1970's bottle. I was thinking Old Mr. Boston from the label style, but the bottle looks like something Beam would do. I take it there is no government warning or computer UPC on the labels and that also indicates the 1970's. Is it a 700ml or a 4/5 quart? I know that in the 1970's ypou could find both types in Germany - depending upon whether it was bought at a German liquor store on a U.S. military base.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mr.Nice_Guy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:41 pm

hey,

yes, it is 700 ml bottle.
i have to admit, that i am impressed by your knowledge about this bottle and its possible history.
do you think i can make a bit of money, if i am going to sell one bottle on ebay?
i did open one bottle yesterday and although i am not familiar with whiskey, it had a really excellent taste, very mild with a lot of flavour almost like a wine would have.

regards
Mr.Nice_Guy

Unread postby PaulO » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:10 am

Yes, you could put it on Ebay and get some money. I don't know if anyone would pay more than $20. People pay the big bucks for special versions of famous brands. Basically someone has a good idea of what they are getting. The topic of Ebay has come up before. Most of the whiskey selling on Ebay is technically illegal. They claim that these bottles are being sold as collectors items and the contents are incidental. So it's kind of shadey. I say keep the Old Big Boss and drink it.
PaulO

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 am

Not most, but all sales of alcohol on ebay is illegal. It takes a special license to sell alcohol in an auction (The BATF came to the Oscar Getz Museum to check their license one year, so they do check), and I doubt anyone has bought that license for their on line sales. The Getz museum has to pay $100.00 for a one day license for their auction.

I would say drink it and enjoy. If you need help, invite a few good friends over for a drink. I guarantee, that sharing a good bottle of bourbon with good friends will be worth more than the hundred or so dollars you might get for the bottle on ebay (on a good day).
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Collector's Corner