Old Taylor Whiskey Bottle - Need UR help!

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Taylor Whiskey Bottle - Need UR help!

Unread postby FloridaRecycled » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi Everyone!

While trying to find out some info on this bottle of Old Taylor...I stumbled on to this site and I could really use some help trying to date this bottle of Old Taylor Whiskey. I have not found an image (even from the pics of old advertisements) that is the same as this bottle is...it is a 4/5 quart bottle...86 proof...and from reading posts here I thought I could find the date on the tax stamp that is on it...but there is no date. There is an eagle in the center that covers the top and some numbers on the side that I tried to take a pic of...but they didn't come out well. It also appears as though some evaporation has taken place (as you can see in the pics the bottle looks as if it's not full) but the seal has not been broken.

Here is a link to the pics I took - if there is any additional info that I can provide that would help in identification Iet me know.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tinna

http://www.itaggit.com/Thing/149295-1/O ... ---Vintage
FloridaRecycled

Re: Old Taylor Whiskey Bottle - Need UR help!

Unread postby mozilla » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Welcome to the site,

Why is this information so important to you...if you don't mind me asking.
mozilla

Unread postby FloridaRecycled » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 am

Mozilla,

It's not really a matter of it being "so" important...it's a curiousity...I'm pretty much a packrat - mostly older type things - and I like knowing the history and/or the story behind the things I have...currently I'm kinda stuck on bottles/fruit jars (mostly Ball jars) and the idea of one day going on a bottle dig!!! Hopefully it will happen soon! ...OK off track...anyway...this past weekend my brother came over to help me with things and afterwards I told him to look through the liquour I had pulled out of my cabinet and gone through to see if he wanted any of it. He took some Jack, and a couple miniatures of Chivas and Royale Chambord (I wouldn't let him have my big bottle of that)**...and I was going to give him this bottle of Old Taylor but since it looked 1/2 gone...and the liquid looked almost like sweet tea...I decided to check out how old it was...little did I know I wouldn't be able to just Google my way to the answer...then I came across this site and ya'll are about whiskey like I am about fruit jars...so I thought I might find out something here?

Just mostly need to know if it's still OK to drink it...just curious about the other stuff - even more so because I can't find anything out on it...

Again - any info would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Tinna
FloridaRecycled

Unread postby mozilla » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for the info.

I would suggest looking at the bottom of the bottle for a bottle date.

If you set the bottle on it's side...so that the numbers on the bottom are upright and readable. Then at the lower right hand corner...say at 5 o'clock. There will be a two digit number that corresponds to the last two digits of that year. It is almost always very close to the actual bottling date.

I hope that helps you with the info your are searching for.

Also, if the bourbon is not cloudy then the bourbon is probably in good shape. Give it a go.
mozilla

Unread postby FloridaRecycled » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks for your help...I will check it out tonight! I don't have internet at home - so I will post what I find out here on Monday!

Have a great weekend!

Tinna ;)
FloridaRecycled

Unread postby FloridaRecycled » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:34 am

OK...I have the info from the bottle...

--On the bottom (going in a circle) it has...Liquor Bottle LP 5 7 0 6 5 5 (1) 7 2 D - 1 1 3

...the (1) is actually a 1 in a circle and in the center under the words Liquor Bottle is a 5 8 3

...on the red US Tax Revenue label (eagle in the center) on one side is the #'s 479491666

...So from what you said before does that mean that it was bottled in 1972???

Thanks,
Tinna
FloridaRecycled

Unread postby mozilla » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:54 pm

It's hard to get many clues from your pics...they are a little out of focus. And without seeing the numbers I can't say for sure which date is accurate.

What size bottle is it? Can you take a pic of the bottom of the bottle? You might need to set your camera on the close up setting???

The numbers on the tax strip are not important in dating. The bottle looks to be from the 70's from what I can tell, but I am not confident without further clues.
mozilla

Unread postby FloridaRecycled » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:25 pm

OK...I came across this ad for Old Taylor Whiskey...showing that this style bottle originated in 1968....therefore I feel certain that the date of my bottle is 1972.

Here is a pic of the ad showing it...wish my bottle was still this full!!!

It's a 4/5 quart bottle.

Thanks again for your help!

Tinna

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7364897@N02/3130266443/
FloridaRecycled

Unread postby mozilla » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:37 pm

The next clue I was planning on working on was the size of the bottle. I don't remember however when they stopped using the quart and pint bottles for the 750/1ltr's.

Hope you enjoy your pour.
mozilla

Return to Collector's Corner