Age of Old Sunnybrook Bottle

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Age of Old Sunnybrook Bottle

Unread postby Igotthat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 pm

First time poster here. Will be hosting my large family Christmas this year and want to crack open this bottle found in my basement which would have belonged to my Grand-father who died in 1976. Old Sunny Brook Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Label shows C58 and 1876L.South Dakota Liquor Tax of 4 11/16 cents . Unbroken seal shows US Internal Revenue with a number 33285345. Safe to drink? How old? Always stored in basement in the dark and never subject to any freezing temps.
Igotthat

Re: Age of Old Sunnybrook Bottle

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Absolutely safe to drink. Should be very good.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:58 pm

If the whiskey bottle is still full and the whiskey is not cloudy it should be good to drink but depending on how old it is, it could be a pretty valuable collector's item as well.
Some early to mid 1900's whiskey bottles can sell for hundreds and even thousands at auction.
To date the bottle you can look for numbers on the bottom. If there's a set of numbers on the right side(ignore any numbers on the left) it's a date code for when the bottle was made for example a "46" would be 1946.
If the tax seal is green(for 100 proof bottled in bond) and not red it will have distilling and bottling dates on it.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby Igotthat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:45 pm

On the bottom there is an oval. Outside the oval on the left there is the number 4. On the right there is a small circle that overlaps the oval. Within the oval above there is a D 1. Within the oval below there are the numbers 56 58. In what year was the tax in South Dakota 4 11/16 cents on a half pint? I just discovered that the red South Dakota tax sticker has a copyright on it in very small print. 19 then the copyright circle followed by 54. So the sticker was at least started to be used in 1954. And what might anyone think this unopened bottle could possibly be worth? The labels are nearly perfect. TIA
Igotthat

Return to Collector's Corner