1915 George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

1915 George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey

Unread postby iheijoushin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:40 am

While digging around in the family cellar I came across a very old bottle of Whiskey. The label naturally fell right off, which of course I brought upstairs to take photos of.

I'll take photos of the bottle this evening and better photos of the label. The cork is intact although it looks like some of the whiskey may have evaporated and was later wax sealed.

Can anyone tell me anything about this type of Whiskey? Then I need to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for your help!
iheijoushin

Re: 1915 George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey

Unread postby mozilla » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:41 pm

what info is on the taxstrip?
mozilla

Unread postby iheijoushin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by 'tax strip'? Where can I find it and what does it look like?
iheijoushin

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 pm

The tax stamp is the stamp that acts as a seal across the cork of the bottle. If it is green, then it is a bonded whiskey and will give the dates of when the whiskey was made and when it was bottled. If it is red, then it is not a 100 proof whiskey and will not give that information.

If you are a whiskey drinker, then look at the whiskey in the bottle. If it has a good fill level and does not look cloudy, then open it and drink it on your next special occassion. It has a small amount of value, but probably not more than a hundred dollars or so with the label in that condition. If you want to find out more about its history, then go to the Lore forum and search for the Dickel Time line.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Collector's Corner