AH Hirsch 20 yr Distilled 1974 How Much?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

AH Hirsch 20 yr Distilled 1974 How Much?

Unread postby Jose » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 pm

I have this bottle: DBvd.php?id=158&task=displaybottling

How much is this bottle worth?

Thanks
Jose

Re: AH Hirsch 20 yr Distilled 1974 How Much?

Unread postby barturtle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 am

It is worth whatever you can get someone to pay you for it...I've got $15.00 I'd part with, but that had better include shipping.
barturtle

Unread postby Jose » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Mozilla chill dude...is that the way you treat new guests to your house? I am inquiring cause I posted this in the collectors section. If this is a collectors bottle I would like to know before I drink the whole damn thing myself and don't share with my friends....not trying to sell it at all, it was a gift. So since I cannot make a first time post mistake, for the fear of annoying people like you, who obviously must be jealous that I have this bottle and you don't....well then I guess I don't need to be waisting my time anymore and will drink the bourbon thinking of you.....and what an a-hole some people truly are when they can hide behind the internet....without further ado...goodbye Gentlemen....
Jose

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Jose wrote: I would like to know before I drink the whole damn thing myself and don't share with my friends.....

It is and you should drink it with your friends.

They went for ~$100 originally and most folks would not pay much more than that now.

Go ahead and open it and post your thoughts on it....
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby ggilbertva » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Jose wrote:s....not trying to sell it at all, it was a gift.

Confused Jose. Your question is "How Much?" Why would you care if what you say above is true. Yeah, you made a rookie mistake posting that kind of question. I'm not trying to be rude but those of us that have contributed to this site do so because we have a passion for bourbon.....not making money off bourbon. The other thing that may torque folks on this site is people that pop on and ask a question without attempting to conduct any research on their own to find the answer to the question. If you had done the research yourself, you would have found the answer and avoided the results of your post.
ggilbertva

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:47 pm

The reality is, the regulars bristle when newcomers ask the "what is it worth" question right out of the box. Did you read the "How Much Is Your Bottle Worth" sticky note at the top of the page? Don't bother to answer.

That's just part of it.

It's fair that a newcomer might not expect this response to what seems like a normal question to ask in a collector's forum, and what you probably don't realize is that whiskey collecting and especially talking publicly about whiskey collecting is different from other types of collectibles because it is illegal to sell whiskey without a license. It is against state law but that is the law in every state in the USA. Outside the USA it might be different.

That means that anyone who offers a bottle for sale, if that bottle contains alcohol, that person has just committed a crime. There is no collectibles exception and there is no incidental contents exception. The statement eBay makes all sellers of spirits bottles recite is a meaningless fig leaf. It has no legal weight. It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license, period.

We cover this on this board about a zillion times a year. You have no reason to know that, except you would if you had read the sticky. If you still don't feel your question has been answered sufficiently, read the sticky. If you still don't, feel free to post again.

It's pretty good advice everywhere on the web to learn your way around before you post anything. Every site has its peculiar culture. People here are generally very nice and helpful to each other.

The more I think about it, though, doesn't it seem inexcusable that someone would come to a site like this, intending to ask how much a bottle is worth, and not read the posting at the top of the thread with the name, "How Much Is Your Bottle Worth"? It does seem that someone who does something so inconsiderate deserves whatever bad treatment they receive.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 pm

mozilla wrote:This is not a "how much is it worth site". If you need a professional opinion...then go pay for one.

This is your first post here....and instead of introducing yourself and showing your interest in bourbon...you ask the group to help you make money.

Get bent, Dude. Take your money making scheme somewhere else.

HUZZAH! Jeff Mo'!

You've gotten that right, my brother!

Stand your ground!

Never give up!

Saint Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Bas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:12 pm

That means that anyone who offers a bottle for sale, if that bottle contains alcohol, that person has just committed a crime. There is no collectibles exception and there is no incidental contents exception. The statement eBay makes all sellers of spirits bottles recite is a meaningless fig leaf. It has no legal weight. It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license, period.

Another 'Saint' just got born.
Bas

Return to Collector's Corner