Old Quaker

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Quaker

Unread postby Bas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:43 pm

I purchased an bottle of Old quaker recently but can anybody tell me from what year this bottle is.
It is an Italian Import and the italian taxlabel is across the american taxlabel.
Last edited by Bas on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bas

Re: Old Quaker

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm

I would say a 1970's bottling (maybe earlier) of Seagram when it owned and produced bourbon at Lawrenceburg, Indiana. It "looks" good (lovely color) and the taste may well match the inviting hue. The legend on the side is interesting and shows how strong the feeling was about mildness and mild drinks in the era although possibly the message is undercut by the claim of richness for the drink. Covering all the bases I guess in the time-honoured marketers' way. If you examine the base of the bottle, it may have 2 digits on the right side - embossed in the glass - which suggest the bottling date, e.g., "76" or a date in that range. I'd be interested in your taste impressions and what it might compare to today.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:06 pm

There is no age statement embossed on the bottom. Only a '3' and a '25' and '258216 or 25b216'
The label has a number CJ 16.121.71.01
Bas

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:12 pm

I hate to correct Gary, but the Old Quaker Distillery was Schenley's distillery in Lawrenceburg> Indiana, not Seagram's distillery which is down the street from the Old Quaker distillery. I would also say that the bottle was from the late 60's or early 70's simply because Schenley's answer to declining bourbon sales in the United States was to try to open foreign markets. They did this most with I W Harper, sending this brand to over 50 foriegn markets, but they also tried other brands in specific markets.

You can go to my Schenley History timeline for more history of the distillery.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks Mike (just catching up with this) and I forgot there were two distilleries in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

I wonder why that burg was such a center (outside Kentucky to be sure but still) of whiskey distilling.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Collector's Corner