Pre Prohibition Old Taylor Whiskey Bottle

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Pre Prohibition Old Taylor Whiskey Bottle

Unread postby ngcbach » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Hello,

My grandfather has a bottle of un-opened whiskey and wanted me to find out how much it might be worth, not to drink obviously but for any whiskey enthusiast that might like a vintage bottle. The label is not in great condition but from what I can read it is one pint with the number 2982897-23 and saying it was bottled in Spring 19_3 Made Fall 1916. I'm not even sure where to start with this question so even if you have no idea if it's worth anything could you please tell me someone who might? I will try to post pictures but if that does not work please e-mail me and I can send them that way....

Kind regards,
Nicole Bach
Attachments
Old Taylor 9e.jpg
Old Taylor 9e.jpg (185.87 KiB) Viewed 25136 times
Old Taylor 7e.jpg
Old Taylor 7e.jpg (182.25 KiB) Viewed 25136 times
Old Taylor 6e.jpg
Old Taylor 6e.jpg (204.43 KiB) Viewed 25115 times
Old Taylor 5e.jpg
Old Taylor 5e.jpg (228.3 KiB) Viewed 25105 times
Old Taylor 4e.jpg
Old Taylor 4e.jpg (206.09 KiB) Viewed 25065 times
Old Taylor 3e.jpg
Old Taylor 3e.jpg (214.47 KiB) Viewed 25037 times
Old Taylor 2e.jpg
Old Taylor 2e.jpg (213.07 KiB) Viewed 24993 times
Old Taylor 1e.jpg
Old Taylor 1e.jpg (196.97 KiB) Viewed 24998 times
Last edited by ngcbach on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ngcbach

Re: Pre Prohibition Old Taylor Whiskey Bottle

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:37 pm

A bottle of this whiskey would sell for about $100.00 at the Oscar Getz auction during the bourbon festival. If the labels were in better shape It might bring as much as $200.00 on a good day. On ebay, I suspect it would go for about the same.

There seems to be a lot of Old Taylor 17yo prohibition era bottles out there. The couple I have opened were way over aged and tasted like licking a barrel stave. The quality of the product was declining toward the end of prohibition.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:22 am

yup.... I have seen these sell for $20 up to $100 on the best day.... all depends who is out there and how unique they think it is at the moment...

with the label in this condition, the bourbon is probably in the same... Meaning, the collectors do not want it and the drinkers will be afraid to drink it...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby shoshani » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:32 am

Dump Bucket wrote:with the label in this condition, the bourbon is probably in the same... Meaning, the collectors do not want it and the drinkers will be afraid to drink it...

After my rather unpleasant experience with a mid-60s Stitzel-Weller Old Fitz decanter and more recently with a cut glass decanter of I. W. Harper from probably the 1950s, I'm far more interested in the CORK than any label. These two had labels in excellent condition, but the corks had gotten musty and the rather foul taste of that tainted the whiskey.

My best luck with older bottles (Old Taylor BiB bottled in 1979-1980, Old Grand-Dad BiB from the 1970s) has been with screw-caps, Screw caps have no cork to taint, and the bottles I've had had absolutely no loss at all on the inside.
shoshani

Unread postby jinenjo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:01 am

Dump Bucket wrote:.. Meaning, the collectors do not want it and the drinkers will be afraid to drink it...

Speak for yourself! :blackeye: I'd sure as hell give it a go around.

As for what it's worth, Mr. Veach is probably accurate. I might not shell out 100 clams, but I'd pay a decent amount for it (if I had the means).

Nicole, you may want to remove your email from the post as it is a sure way to attract spam and other unwanted solicitations. Good luck!
-Lear
jinenjo

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:55 pm

shoshani wrote: I'm far more interested in the CORK than any label.

That is what I mean... if the label is that bad.. think at how the cork will be...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby Bas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:21 am

Shame about the label.

This one on sale for several months now, regarding the price , i wonder why? :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Rare-19th-C-Ol ... .m20.l1116

The one below is more similar to your bottle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1935-Old-Overholt-5 ... dZViewItem

I just purchased an old bottle of Old Quaker from the '70 's . I'm not sure wether to drink it or not. I hope to find another one so i can drink the one and save the other because i'm to curiuos what it would taste like.
Bas

Unread postby Voltron » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 pm

It is an amazing coincidence to me, but my grandfather had a bottle of Old Taylor that was Made in Fall 1916 and Bottled in Spring 1933, the last year of Prohibition in the US. My grandfather kept this bottle in the original box for 60+ years for some reason, and now I do the same. Here are a few iMac photos but you can see the stamp is the same and I gotta believe that your bottle must have been bottled in Spring 1933 if this one was. It even looks like it has about the same amount of evaporation. :lol:

Voltron

Unread postby jinenjo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:08 am

jinenjo wrote:
As for what it's worth, Mr. Veach is probably accurate. I might not shell out 100 clams, but I'd pay a decent amount for it (if I had the means).

Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I've had my share of over-aged bourbons, and this surely is one of them. I doubt I'd shell out even $40 for something that wasn't meant to meant to sit 17 years in wood.
-Lear
jinenjo

Unread postby Bas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:58 am

Beautiful bottle, Voltron. Very very nice collectible.
Bas

Unread postby Voltron » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Bas wrote:Beautiful bottle, Voltron. Very very nice collectible.

Thanks Bas. I am quite curious about drinking it one day. 2016 will be 100 years from distilling, but 2033 is 100 years from bottling and my 70th birthday year. Should I risk a long life or go for it earlier? :? It is cool to me because it was my grandfather's, and I also have a lot of miniatures from the 20s and 30s as well. I might have to check out your site for minis.

Cheers
Voltron

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Drink it on a special occasion. My experience with the Old Taylor of that vinatge is that it will either be very good or taste like you are licking a barrel stave. Either way, it makes for a fun and interesting experience.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Voltron » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:58 pm

bourbonv wrote:Drink it on a special occasion. My experience with the Old Taylor of that vinatge is that it will either be very good or taste like you are licking a barrel stave. Either way, it makes for a fun and interesting experience.

Mmm, staves. :clown: Yeah, I have had some old whiskey before but not this old. It will be fun and interesting indeed.

@Bas:

I went to your site and it is great. Nice collections and beautiful clear pictures. I should hit you up for some cleaning advice (after searching here of course) because I have a lot of great minis but they have dust and probably mildew on them. The tax stamps in particular need work although most labels are pretty clean. Anyway, nice work on your website.
Voltron

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Just for the sake of clarity, we would call this Prohibition-era medicinal whiskey, not pre-Prohibition. We would only call it pre-Pro if it was bottled and sold before Prohibition. All of the whiskey sold by prescription during Prohibition was distilled before Prohibition, but we don't call that pre-Pro in normal usage.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bas » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 am

Voltron wrote:I went to your site and it is great. Nice collections and beautiful clear pictures. I should hit you up for some cleaning advice (after searching here of course) because I have a lot of great minis but they have dust and probably mildew on them. The tax stamps in particular need work although most labels are pretty clean. Anyway, nice work on your website.

Thanks.
None of the mini's were cleaned by me. I buy them 'as is'. I tried cleaning a backlabel of a 'Dant' once and it became worse then it was before. So i do not do that. If it is stained- it's stained. I think it gives the bottle also that certain 'feel' to it. Hope you know what i mean, do not know how to describe it exactly . There is a site on the web with cleaning advice for those labels. Will see if i can find it again.
Some say that whiskey was meant for drinking and that even those old bottles should be opened. i think unless you have another one , you should keep it as a part and example of your Bourbon History. If it is drank , it's lost forever.
Bas

Return to Collector's Corner