The Pros and Cons of eBay for Whiskey Hunters.

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Re: The Pros and Cons of eBay for Whiskey Hunters.

Unread postby sailor22 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Perhaps I should have added; "Posted with tung firmly planted in cheek"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony
sailor22

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:55 pm

I kinda thought that when I read your ending quotes! Unfortunately it is illegal in Kentucky to ship spirits into or out of the state, so I don't fool with ebay myself. It just does not seem to be worth the hassel.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:36 pm

sailor22 wrote: "I don't have any problem at all buying collectible bottles that have incidental contents. I would never ever under any circumstances do anything that violated a law or avoided paying a tax."

Unfortunately, those two statements are mutually exclusive. The law doesn't recognize the concept of "incidental contents." If you buy a bottle on eBay that has alcohol in it, you have broken the law, period.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bas » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:45 am

Ebay is for me a way to find nice items for my collection. I do not collect large bottles for the content but only the mini''s and collectibles which aren't even opened by me. I do not search for bottles from the 60s or 70s. For me is what a good liquorstore can offer, enough for me. I have found some good stores in my country and in Germany. But as i collect minis i can understand that people collect the biggies as well. I always find it a waste to poor hard to find whiskey in a glass and in the end flush it away. Then it'll be gone forever. But that's my opnion.
I don't care if a bottle increases in value over the years, i collect stuff because I like it. I want a bottle just for the completion of the collection no matter what the value in time will be.
I have learned that value of someting is only then regonised when actually paid for. I mean if you have a bottle with a value of 100 dollars and when you sell it nobody wants to pay that amount for it, what is the value then?
Your postal service does not allow sending alcohol outside the US. I do not understand why. Luckily for me not every person obeys their policy.
I can send alcohol with our postal service anywhere i want in the world ( if allowed in the receptors country) and i do not see why not, Taxes? Taxes were paid when i bought the bottle.
About breaking the law-- It is only a collectible and bought and sold that way . It is not that you are a reseller who sells large quantities. You have to see things in perspective. Does it make any sense in what i wrote? ( if not , see it as culture issue :D )

--------edit------------
Just found this one which for i think is a bit overpriced.
http://cgi.ebay.nl/JIM-BEAM-MILLIONTH-B ... dZViewItem
Bas

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner