Maker's A Derby Favorite

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Maker's A Derby Favorite

Unread postby BottleArt » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:08 am

I put the JD racing bottle on the wrong page. I will put the Derby bottles here.
Attachments
Makers derby fest 3.jpg
Makers derby fest 3.jpg (124.52 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Makers derby fest 2.jpg
Makers derby fest 2.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Makers derby fest 4.jpg
Makers derby fest 4.jpg (67.23 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
DERBY 1.jpg
DERBY 1.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
BottleArt

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm

In a lot of ways, the decanters and collectible bottles period in American whiskey history was a dark one. It represented a time when people weren't buying American whiskey to drink it so the producers, desperate for sales, tried to tap the collector market. Ultimately it didn't work because that market eventually became saturated. It's self-evident that a healthy market is one in which people buy the stuff because they want to drink it, which they do and then go buy more.

What made me think of this is that the two bottles you posted seem unusually ugly, especially coming from two producers who usually protect their image pretty carefully.

I don't know why you chose to post these, but I can tell you that the people who visit this web site are more interested in what's inside the bottle than they are in the package.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby NeoTexan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Congratulations .... you just insulted the guy that made them for MM.
NeoTexan

Unread postby mozilla » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:02 pm

I don't drink Maker's very often, but I think those are kind of cool, for promo bottles. Much better than the silver and blue Cowboy's bottles(Grand Slam Bottle). :wink:
mozilla

Unread postby Kendall » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Enjoy the contents. Beauty is in the eye of the bottle holder.
Kendall

Unread postby Bucc58 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:19 pm

I think they are nice and I don't even like Makers. The big block lettering is not elegant and old world but thats the greatness of it. Very refreshing style. Good pics, thanks for sharing. :)
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:34 am

Chuck is right that most people here appreciate what is in the bottle more than the actual bottle, but I am also interested in the bottle and label designs as well. The Derby bottle looks to be based upon the Derby pin. Is the Derby festival recieving a donation from these bottles? I find it interesting since Brown-Forman is the official sponsor of the Derby mint juleps with Woodford Reserve and Early Times.

On the Jack Daniel bottle, is the whiskey simply Old No. 7 black label or did they put anything special in the bottle? Does a charity recieve any money from the sales of these bottles or does the bottle represent a way to congratulate the supporters of the Jack Daniel rase car?
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 am

I think most creative professionals understand the difference between a criticism and an insult. Personally, I don't care for those bottles, but I'm not crazy about the whole special packaging thing from a philosophical perspective.

According to Jimmy Bedford, all of the commemorative bottlings contain standard Old No. 7 Jack Daniel's, though occasionally at a different proof. The exception is Silver Select, which has the same selection criteria as Single Barrel.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:27 am

That's one damn ugly bottle!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Derby

Unread postby BottleArt » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:38 am

The racing bottle is a gift to various individuals within RCR & JDR enterprises. After 99 races to get a win is more stunning than the bottle! The Derby & Derby Festival bottles were also VIP gifts given by the event planner. In the case of the Derby bottle, it is a part of the Brownstable Gala.
The Makers Mark side of the bottle is exactly as it appears on the paper label.
I do 1000's of special event bottles from Jack Daniel's Professional Bull Riding, to Jim Beam's, Hell's Angels Anzac Day in New South Wales, to Remy Martin King Louis bottles that are gifts to the Ryder Cup & Master's Golf Committees, to Elvis Presley Tribute bottles.
Whiskey is the smallest niche I fill but growing daily, we do about 75% wine bottles.
Attachments
Empire State.jpg
Empire State.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
sample 1 small.jpg
sample 1 small.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
3 golf holes small.jpg
3 golf holes small.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
3 golf holes.jpg
3 golf holes.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
BottleArt

Return to Collector's Corner