old gottschalk pure rye baltimore ma. l&j and all

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

old gottschalk pure rye baltimore ma. l&j and all

Unread postby rhowton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:12 pm

hello , my name is rick and i live in virginia. i am new to bourbon enthusiast and have some questions about an old bottle i found doing some work on an old plantation here in gloucester, va. the bottle is labeled captain jack whiskey and is from the gottschalk company of baltimore md. i have`nt been able to find any info about the gottschalks or anything about captain jack pure rye and malt whiskey. i saw something about your research that says that gottschalk is coming soon and tried to do some of my own and got nowhere. unfortunately my camera recently suffered a ghost hunting accident and cant offer you a picture either so i decided to write and see what happens.the label reads that the whiskey was distilled for j.h. adams , commercial place near ferries wharf norfolk, va. i am very curious.let me know what you can.
rhowton

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Rick,
Gottschalk was one of the venerable producers of Maryland rye whiskey in the pre-prohibition (and especially pre-pure-food-act) glory days of that style. Their best-known brand was Pointer Maryland Rye, which featured a portrait of a bird dog in action. I haven't found out much more about it than that, yet. I found nothing about a Captain Jack brand offered by Gottschalk.

However, there was a "Cap'n Jack" whiskey sold by the Cincinnati Distillers Distributing Company. It appears to be from either just before or more likely just after prohibition. This was apparently the sort of whiskey that lends support to common opinions about "manufactured whiskey". Hopefully, that isn't what yours is.

Hurry and get your camera fixed! We'd love to see this.
Attachments
Pointer Maryland Rye - red .jpg
Pointer Maryland Rye - red .jpg (118.79 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Cap'n Jack .jpg
Cap'n Jack .jpg (81.19 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:36 pm

The 1911 Mida's Financial Directory has The Gottschalk Compnay, Inc. located at 108-118 Light St. in Baltimore and they are listed as Rectifiers with a value rating of "B" ($200,000 to $250,000). The Mida's Trademark registery from 1899 does not have Captain Jack but does show the Pointer trademark as being in use since 29 November 1889.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

gottschalk

Unread postby rhowton » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:45 pm

thanks for the tidbit of info. i love historical info and seeing or having items just make it that much more real. the bottle i have is actually clear unlike yours.i have seen bottles just like it with different labels attached to them.this label has a picture of a man with a bowtie and a hat that appears to have a ribbon or something attached in the center of the top . almost like a santa claus hat without the ball on it. ill send a picture soon. thanks for replying.
rick
rhowton

Return to Collector's Corner