A.Overholt & Co Pure Rye Whiskey 1872

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

A.Overholt & Co Pure Rye Whiskey 1872

Unread postby Solitary_Trucker » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Hello there people with knowledge!!

Not really sure whether this is the right forum to be in for this question but here goes:

Whilst clearing out my recent desceased fathers house considering he never drunk in his life a number of wines dates 1921 and 1934 but fot this forumn I found a bootle of rye whisky I believe was made in 1872. I have searched the net in research but the label is nothing like any i have seen most labels appear to be much later. The head line is

A.overholt & Co
Established 1810
Distillers of Monongahela Pure Rye Whisky
the finest rye whiskey in the world
Pittsburgh PA

the neck has a collar stuck on it it saying "Distilled in 1872 bottled by WM.J.Friday, Pittsburgh,PA"

The neck appears to have a lead seal over similar to a wine bottle with some sort of stamp impressed in on it at the very top. Once I cleared the half inch of dust of the bottle i havent had the guts to wash it in case i destroy the label the clarity appears very good a deep deddish brown with no sort of sediment at all. Any advice would be very helpful as to also a possible value or what i should do with it to find out more.

Meanwhile i am going back to the 100% proof old grandad whiskey we found at the same time dated 1951 never been a bourbon drinker but its growing on me

Thanks for your help Paul

ps cant get pictures to upload large so avatar is main label of bottle
Attachments
DSCN0539.JPG
neck label
DSCN0539.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
DSCN0538.JPG
main label
DSCN0538.JPG (114.69 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
Last edited by Solitary_Trucker on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solitary_Trucker

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:51 pm

You can check out the Jim Beam/National Distllers timeline under bourbon lore for more information on Old Overholt. I would also highly recommend you looking at John Lipman's web site ellenjaye.com. He has a wealth of knowledge about rye whiskey, including Overholt.

As far as price is concerned, like I said in the What'a it worth post, a bottle is worth whatever someone will give you for it. It would help to have photos of the bottle, but if it is in primo condition and everything else check out to what you believe it is I would estimat a couple hundred dollars or more for the bottle.

Keep drinking the Old Grand Dad. It is an excellent bourbon, espceially from that era of production. I love the fruity, cherry/date flavor that is balanced with some spice tones, especially nutmeg and cinnamon. Of course there is always a rich caramel/vanilla flavor in bourbon so that Old Grand Dad is probably a regular party in your mouth with its flavors.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:22 pm

bourbonv wrote: a regular party in your mouth with its flavors.

HEY! That's my line! :wink:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby jinenjo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:30 pm

What an incredible find! :shock: And a remarkably great condition.

So what happened to it?

-Lear
jinenjo

Unread postby jinenjo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:14 pm

It's been a while since I've been to this site, and have seen the latter thread about this bottle.

Now I know why the bottle was in such good condition...
It's useful to see how deceptive fraudulence can be and how history is good to know.
-Lear
jinenjo

Return to Collector's Corner