Help! Who can tell me about an old bottle of Old Schenley

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Help! Who can tell me about an old bottle of Old Schenley

Unread postby laurielf » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Hello,
While helping my grandmother clean out some cabinets after my grandfather passed away we came across a bottle of Old Schenley. It has never been opened. The dates say made 1913, bottled 1919. Any idea where this would have been made, or what can you tell me about this company.

Also, are there any collectors who would be interested in purchasing this item. My grandmother does not want to just throw it away. I can post a picture later if that would help.
laurielf

Unread postby NeoTexan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Have you read the sticky by Chuck at the top of this Forum? It answers your question regarding the worth of your bottle.
We really are not trying to be hard about this, but for the most part we do not use this forum to buy and sell.

I will let it to others with greater knowledge answer your question regarding it's history.
NeoTexan

Unread postby laurielf » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:04 pm

Yes, unlike most people I did read the stickys. I am more than aware that most any item is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. I am also aware that this forum is not intended to buy and sell something. However, I also know that many people are very passionate about their collectables and if someone would be interested in purchasing this item I would rather help out my grandmother than to just throw it away. My main purpose for this is to find out what I can about it. My grandfather was very good at collecting old items, but never told anyone about them. I am wondering if there was something special about this that would make him hold onto the bottle, considering that he didn't drink alcohol.
laurielf

Unread postby NeoTexan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:18 pm

It's my hope no offense was taken. A quest for knowledge is quite understandable.

I may be totally wrong, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am, but I found this elsewhere:

Schenley Distillers dates to approximately 1900, when chemist Frank Sinclair found an underground stream above the junction of the Kiskiminetas and Allegheny Rivers in Pennsylvania. With his charcoal expertise, Sinclair concluded that this stream water was ideal for making whiskey. Around 1900 he acquired the land from Mary Schenley and began what later became known as a Schenley distillery.

The Schenley Products Company was organized in New Jersey in 1920. During the 1920s the owner of Schenley, Lewis Rosenstiel, acquired approximately thirty distillers of whiskies and other spirits, including Joseph S. Finch & Company, Napa Valley Wine & Brandy, Greenbrier Distilling Company, and Sam Thompson Distillery Company.

During the 1920s and until repeal of Prohibition, liquor manufacturers were under strict government control that limited production for specific purposes. After repeal in 1933, Schenley Distillers Corporation was created in Delaware. In July 1933 Schenley Distillers acquired, in an exchange for 820,000 of its capital stock, the entire capital stock of Schenley Products. The shares of Schenley Distillers were then offered to the public in a deal arranged by Lehman Brothers and valued at approximately $3 million. At this time, Schenley was the second-largest whiskey distiller in the United States, second only to Joseph E. Seagrams, owned by Sam Bronfman.

After Prohibition, demand soared for distilled alcohol products. Schenley earned $6.9 million on sales of $40.3 million in 1934. The following year, earnings rose to $8.0 million and sales rose 56 percent to $63 million.
NeoTexan

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 am

If you go to the "Bourbon Lore" forum you will find a timeline of Schenley history which will answer some of your questions. I would say that the bottle you have would be a very interesting bottle to try. You do not say but is the whiskey, bourbon or rye? I suspect rye since that is what Schenley specialized in at that time period. You may want to post some photographs of the bottle and labels so people will have a better idea of what you have to offer. There are several collectors here that might want to make an offer for the bottle, but probably not sight unseen.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:36 pm

Laurie,

Any interested collector on this forum will send you a private message if they want to buy your bottle. They will offer you a fair price. I know of no one here that is out to 'low-ball' anyone. I know most of these folks personally, and they are open; honest, and fair enthusiasts of the very highest caliber.

Should anyone approach you with less than honorable intentions, please feel free to PM me.

:arrow: saintima :angel7:

HEY!

HEY!

I hear that!

STOP that snickering!

ima SAINT darnit!

bunghole

Unread postby laurielf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:59 pm

No offense was taken. Thanks for all your information everyone. I will try to get some pictures up so that you can see what I found. I will have to look at the bottle to see what exactly it is.
laurielf

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:48 pm

bunghole wrote:HEY!

HEY!

I hear that!

STOP that snickering!

ima SAINT darnit!

I miss a memo? :)
NeoTexan

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:15 pm

NeoTexan wrote:

HEY!

I hear that!

STOP that snickering!

ima SAINT darnit!

Awhile back, Mike from Georgia declaired me a saint. I readily admit that I have been having a little too much fun with my newfound sainthood.

bunghole

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:55 pm

bunghole wrote:
NeoTexan wrote:

HEY!

I hear that!

STOP that snickering!

ima SAINT darnit!

Awhile back, Mike from Georgia declaired me a saint. I readily admit that I have been having a little too much fun with my newfound sainthood.

Oh, I don't dispute the ranking, it's well deserved. :prayer: Just missed the first post.
NeoTexan

Re: Help! Who can tell me about an old bottle of Old Schenl

Unread postby Tanyaginger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi! Did you ever post a picture of that old bottle of Schenley whiskey? Is it still for sale?
Tanyaginger

Return to Collector's Corner