Calvert's "Special" Blended Whiskey

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Calvert's "Special" Blended Whiskey

Unread postby MAndrewMX » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:05 pm

I found a full & sealed bottle of Calverts "Special" Blended Whiskey from the 1940's. (Probably 1941) So about 66-years-old. Made by Calvert Distilling Co.

Some questions:
1. Is 66-year-old whiskey good to drink? Its sealed like I said, but I do see some small chunks of something floating around in there. Not sure what that is. Would it taste decent being this old? Basically should I save it for a special occasion?

2. Yes, value. What kind of value could I expect if I sold it. I see empty bottles and posters going between $100 - $200. Is that all I could expect for a full bottle as well? Or if someone wanted it for the whiskey would they pay more you think?

3. Anything else about this particular whiskey or old whiskey in general that I should be aware of would be great!

In any case, having this has stirred my interest old whiskey, but surprisingly there isnt much information about it, that I can find
MAndrewMX

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Whiskey doesn't age in the bottle. Assuming a good seal, the whiskey will taste the same today as it did in 1941. Yes, it should be safe to drink, but it isn't "old" in the way "old" is normally applied to whiskey. The age of a whiskey is stated in terms of time in the barrel. Time in the bottle doesn't count.

What's it worth?

In general, blended whiskey is not as prized at straight whiskey. I know of no one who collects blended whiskey.

About the only reason someone would want this would be if they had a personal affection for or connection with that product during that era and, obviously, if there ever were such people, most of them are dead now.

Another possibility would be someone who simply wants to taste what the "state of the art" was 60+ years ago.

So, what's it worth? My assessment would be, zero to maybe $50.

If the bottle is corked, as opposed to a screw cap, the "chunks" probably are pieces of cork. Otherwise, I don't know.

The Calvert brand is now owned by Beam Global Spirits and Wine (i.e., Jim Beam). The Calvert name refers to American-made products while "Lord Calvert" refers to Canadian-made products. The following is from the Beam Global Press Kit:

Lord Calvert Canadian whisky is named after Lord Cecil Calvert, founder of the Maryland colony in 1632, whose descendants started the Calvert – Maryland Distilling Co. in the 1890s. The Lord Calvert whisky brand was established in the 1940s as a premium blended whisky. The brand became a Canadian blend in the 1960s, and is now a smooth, rich-tasting Canadian whisky with a down-to-earth personality. Lord Calvert is produced from a combination of rye, corn, wheat and barley, and distilled and aged in the clean, crisp air of the Canadian Rockies.

The sticky notes at the top of this thread may give you some additional insights.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Collector's Corner