Old Rye Bottle

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Rye Bottle

Unread postby Old Man Bourbon » Sat May 19, 2007 8:54 am

Hi,

who knows more information
over this old bottle of Rye Whisky?

Rye Whiskey Golden Wedding
20 Years,
Purchased by Jacob Vanderpoel in 1867

Thanks,

Old Man Bourbon

Take time for a good Bourbon Whiskey
Attachments
Rye 20 Years 1855-1875.JPG
Rye 20 Years 1855-1875.JPG (85.42 KiB) Viewed 6977 times
Old Man Bourbon

Unread postby gillmang » Sat May 19, 2007 11:47 am

There is a Canadian rye whisky to this day called Golden Wedding. I wonder how the tastes compare.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mark » Sat May 19, 2007 1:15 pm

I think it's amazing how much is still in those bottles after SO many years. Well, I mean one from evaporation and secondly from not just wanting to open them up and drink em'! :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby cowdery » Sat May 19, 2007 3:46 pm

The "Golden Wedding" brand of rye whiskey is generally associated with Joseph S. Finch, a Pennsylvania distillery.

I don't want to offend anyone, but my reaction to both this bottle and the Nutwood is skepticism. The format of both seems very similar to the way Scottish independent bottlings are marketed, which is not necessarily typical of the American experience. That said, however, prior to Prohibition most brands were associated with brokers and not with distilleries.

While we have many examples of Prohibition-era medicinal whiskey and many bottles from every post-Prohibition period, whiskey bottled and sold before Prohibition is so rare as to be virtually non-existent. That cache of Belmont that showed up a few years ago seemed authentic as far as it was possible to tell. But how can you tell?

It's not even about trusting the offerer, because the current owner could be a perfectly honest individual who was duped. Both during and after Prohibition there was great demand for pre-Prohibition whiskey (which legend held to have been vastly superior), thus an incentive to create counterfeits which now would be authentically 70-80 years old, but not 100+.

In 2004, the whiskey-collecting world was rocked by the exposure of massive forgery involving 19th century Macallan's. Here's the story as reported in WHISKY Magazine.

http://www.whiskymag.com/news/1389.html

One thing that might help would be more provenance. Where have these bottles been for the last century and how did they happen to come to light now?

We all know "Old Man" is fishing for buyers, not for information, so I think this type of discussion is fair. That's why, overall, I say caveat emptor.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

thanks for all

Unread postby Old Man Bourbon » Sat May 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi,

this bottle is not from me.
this bottle is from a very good Whiskey friendly.

Thanks for all.

Old Man Bourbon
Old Man Bourbon

Unread postby afisher » Sat May 19, 2007 9:41 pm

When did the red revenue stamps first show up?
afisher

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun May 20, 2007 10:10 am

The red revenue stamps are a post prohibition addition to whiskey bottles. The fact that the stamp is on the cork is troubling. Unless a distiller decided to put some bottled product from storage on the market after prohibition, the stamp would not have been from the distillery. It is possible a distributor got a hold of some old cases and wanted to sell the whiskey and had a revenue agent place stamps on the bottles - I know Schenley did that on rare occasions. A most likely source for the stamp is a new bottle of whiskey with a counterfeit label. The wax makes it impposible to look at the seal to see if the cork is 125 years old.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby FireWater » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:43 pm

hmmm....pondering the thought of carbon-dating bourbon??? I wonder if that is possible...I suppose for enough $$$ just about anything is possible.

Randy
FireWater

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:45 pm

Apparently there are chemical tests that can be performed on the contents, which is how the Macallan counterfeits were uncovered.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Collector's Corner