Old Forester Personalized Bottle

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Forester Personalized Bottle

Unread postby LogisticsMom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:58 pm

I acquired an old bottle of "Old Forester" Personalized Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky . The seal stamp on the right is printed in red 18-4916925 bottled Fall 1949, on the left side red writing is blurred but black writing is BR PRODUCTMAN or at least that's was it looks like. The seal is still intact but the plastic sleeve has broken and there has been some evaporation. The bottom of the bottle is marked DES PA 127,478 D10 65-49 (<H>). I'm not sure of the letter in the middle of the chevrons is an H, the right side of the H is on the bottom of the bottle seam. Any help you can give me about this would be helpful. We normally do not drink whiskey, so I was wondering if we should drink it at my daughter's wedding, save it or sell it to someone who would enjoy it more than us. Thank you.
LogisticsMom

Re: Old Forester Personalized Bottle

Unread postby LogisticsMom » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:36 am

Can anyone help me in my original request. I don't know that much about single malt bourbon. The bottle I have was bottled in 1949 and was given to a friend for their 40 birthday back in 1950. Should I sell it (I'm not sure what is worth), save it for another 20 years or drink it. Right now its sitting upright in our dark antique liquor cabinet. The bottle does show some signs of evaporation. If anyone can give me any information I would truly appreciate it. Thanks
LogisticsMom

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:16 pm

LogisticsMom wrote:I acquired an old bottle of "Old Forester" Personalized Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky . The seal stamp on the right is printed in red 18-4916925 bottled Fall 1949, on the left side red writing is blurred but black writing is BR PRODUCTMAN or at least that's was it looks like. The seal is still intact but the plastic sleeve has broken and there has been some evaporation. The bottom of the bottle is marked DES PA 127,478 D10 65-49 (<H>). I'm not sure of the letter in the middle of the chevrons is an H, the right side of the H is on the bottom of the bottle seam. Any help you can give me about this would be helpful. We normally do not drink whiskey, so I was wondering if we should drink it at my daughter's wedding, save it or sell it to someone who would enjoy it more than us. Thank you.
Can anyone help me in my original request. I don't know that much about single malt bourbon. The bottle I have was bottled in 1949 and was given to a friend for their 40 birthday back in 1950. Should I sell it (I'm not sure what is worth), save it for another 20 years or drink it. Right now its sitting upright in our dark antique liquor cabinet. The bottle does show some signs of evaporation. If anyone can give me any information I would truly appreciate it. Thanks

Can you post a photo of your bottle showing the fill level and condition of the seals and labels? Fill level is very important and if too much evaporates from the bottle the whiskey can go bad. With bourbon more popular than ever, these old bottles can be a great investment and will only go up in value. Brown-Forman just recently spent millions of dollars to revive the Old Forester brand. It's claimed to be the first brand of bourbon sold exclusively in bottles starting in 1870.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:19 pm

A good way to date some old bottles from the 1900's is to look at the bottom. In this case there's a "65-49" marking. The numbers on the right indicate the last two digits of the year the bottle was made, 1949.
WhiskeyCollector

Return to Collector's Corner