Sherbrooke rye

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Sherbrooke rye

Unread postby Kennettsportsman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:42 pm

Is anyone familiar with Sherbrooke rye? I have just received two bottles, one of which has no label at all and the other only very fragmented back and front. I can make out that it was made in Maryland and the label is copyrighted 1939. The person who gave these to me knows where they came from (duck shooting lodge on the Eastern Shore) and says they are circa 1940. Having first taste - dark copper color, surprisingly fruity nose, long finish at the back of the mouth with a surprising nutty finish - and I would love to know more about the producer.
Kennettsportsman

Re: Sherbrooke rye

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Sounds like you may have some Wight's Sherbrook. It was one of the most popular Maryland Rye whiskeys and was made by the Frank L. Wight Distilling Co. at Loreley, in the Whitemarsh area on the east side of Baltimore.
Wish I had a bottle!
WhiskeyCollector

Re: Sherbrooke rye

Unread postby Kennettsportsman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Whiskey Collector. I am just now tasting more deliberately after a glass of Bulleit rye. I fear the age, air exchange/evaporation over the years through the cork, and maybe the original recipe, it'a tad harsh. The nose and finish are very different than when I tasted it a few days ago. Still interesting but, at least as these two bottles go, I don't think you're missing anything. Look forward to tracking down the clues you shared about the distiller. Thanks!
Kennettsportsman

Return to Collector's Corner