what is it worth

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

what is it worth

Unread postby Verna Shanstrom » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:49 pm

CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT A BICENTENNIAL UNOPENED AND STILL SEALED OLD FITZGERALD KENTUCKY STRAIGH BOURBON WHISKEY 86 PROOF MIGHT BE WORTH?
Verna Shanstrom

Unread postby Mike » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:30 pm

It's worth what you can get..........and good luck getting it! Without being mean about it, we ain't in the what's it worth business here...........we are in the history, mystery, and love of bourbon business here............now what is your next question?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Verna Shanstrom » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:06 am

reply to mike
You sound like the perfect a**hole
sounds like you feel everyone is beneath you
bet you don't have any friends
Verna Shanstrom

Unread postby Mark » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:55 am

Hi Verna, I'm sorry if you felt Mike showed severe disrespect but I am certain coming from him none was intended. It's just that many come into the collectors corner, especially as a first post, to find out nothing more than the price of a bottle and 'go off into the sunset' so to say. Many here are amazingly not simply interested in the greenback value of bottles/decanters as it is unfortunate that we have become a society driven by nothing more than money, value and worth. Many here honestly enjoy the simplicities of bourbon, it's history etc.

To answer your question in all honesty, which is what is found in the sticky at the top of this forum, it is quite worth what someone will pay for it. I always tell people to find out what a bottle is really worth look at eBay. If one isnt listed list yours. If you dont want to sell right away keep the reserve high enough tht if it hits what you set you'd be happy to sell. It may cot a few bucks but its a small price to pay to have a true and acurate answer to 'what's it worth'.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:40 am

Verna Shanstrom wrote:reply to mike

Verna,

From my perspective YOU are way out of line in the way that you are communicating to Mike. He has shown no disrespect to you. Future posts of this type will be deleted without question. I will not allow ANYONE to begin trashing this site. So, get with the program, or NOT! Any questions, send me a PM. :evil:
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:35 am

Verna Shanstrom wrote:reply to mike

I did sound like an a**hole didn't I............sorry for that
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:17 am

No Mike, I disagree. The response you received was uncalled for and has no place here.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:32 pm

We do seem to go around and around like this from time to time and someone always seems to wind up with their feelings hurt.

Nobody likes to ask a question and hear the answer start with "it depends." Unfortunately, in this and many cases, that's the right answer.

The first problem is that people often ask the "what's it worth question" with a preconception that the answer should be "$X" or "$X to $Y," and when they get a lot of hemming and hawing from us, they think we're jerking them around. In other words, they think we know the "$X" answer but we aren't telling because we're a bunch of pricks.

Hence the sticky. I can't say no one reads the sticky, because I suspect the sticky prevents a lot of inquiries from ever being posted. But when such an inquiry does get posted, it feels like the person posting it hasn't read the sticky.

But rather than getting pissed and making a nasty reply, of which I am as guilty as anyone, I suggest that you boilerplate the following (or your own version of it) and just drop it in.

There are no established values for any American whiskey products, no matter how rare they might be. There is a secondary market but it is very small and diffused. Anyone who says they can give you an accurate assessment of an American whiskey product is lying. It can't be done. The best anyone can do is try to find the same or a similar product on eBay. Sorry we can't be more helpful.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Brewer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:37 am

Chuck,

Thank you for adding to the clarity of the point. If you want to buy/sell something, the price you get/pay is a reflection of what the market will bear. Not what any one of us thinks or hopes for.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:34 am

cowdery wrote:There are no established values for any American whiskey products, no matter how rare they might be. There is a secondary market but it is very small and diffused. Anyone who says they can give you an accurate assessment of an American whiskey product is lying. It can't be done. The best anyone can do is try to find the same or a similar product on eBay. Sorry we can't be more helpful.

Right on Chuck! This should be our "canned answer" to future questions about worth.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Collector's Corner