Old J.W. Corn bottle

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old J.W. Corn bottle

Unread postby MikeK » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:44 pm

I just picked up an old bottle of J. W. Corn. I was wondering if anyone can give me a ballpark date on this?

I'll attach a picture of the front label below. The tax stamp has no dates on it. The back label reads:

Straight Corn Whiskey
100 Proof
This Whiskey is 8 Years Old
Distilled in Indiana
Bottled by James Walsh & Co.
Lawrenceberg, Kentucky

Do the numbers stamped on the bottom glass mean anything?
There is a "69" and "62" next to each other.
It also reads "D401"
There is also a weird symbol that looks like 2 interlocked British pound symbols in a circle.

BTW, I will be drinking this at some point :)

Thanks for any opinions,

Mike
Attachments
jw_corn1.jpg
jw_corn1.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 12594 times
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:14 am

Mike,
JW Corn was a Schenley product - a corn version of JW Dant, back in the 60's and 70's. I am sure that the brand was sold to Heaven Hill in the Early 90's. What you have here is corn whiskey made at the Schenley Lawrenceburg, Indiana plant, probably for one of their blended whiskeys as well as their corn whiskey brands. It should taste pretty good as a corn whiskey, but don't expect anything outstanding.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:47 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the info.

As Jim Murray might say, ones whiskey apprenticeship is not complete without coming to terms with Corn Whiskey.

Even in KY I found corn whiskey not easy to find. I brought back a bottle of Mellow Corn from the Sampler and recently started working on it. It is interesting and quite enjoyable in its own special way. I like it.

Does HH still make JW Corn? I have never seen a bottle. So when I saw this older bottle for sale (and I got it fairly cheap) I thought it would be fun to try some from a while back.

Thanks,
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:40 am

Mike,
I am not sure if Heaven Hill has kept this brand alive or not. If you find a recent bottling of J W Corn, you can pretty much guarantee it is Heaven Hill whiskey. I doubt that they kept the brand alive because they kept Mellow Corn. I doubt they felt they needed two corn whiskeys in their portfolio.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:27 am

Heaven Hill, bless their hearts, market several brands of corn whiskey. J.W.Corn is available through the Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) stores and we have them in our collection. There is a thread here on this forum (I don't recall where) that compares corn whiskeys, and we noted that J. W. Corn -- even though now made by the same Heaven Hill that bottles Mellow Corn -- has a distinctive flavor of its own (less oily, if I remember correctly).

Mike noted the relationship to J. W. Dant, which he may have taken from a suggestion I made. But your example showing the distiller as James Walsh seems to relate to "J. W." just as well, and the Lawrenceburg, Kentucky location makes me wonder if it were not related in some way to the Ripy brothers' distilleries.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:24 am

John,
You are right and I am mistaken here. the "J.W." probably is for James Walsh. J W Dant did do a corn whiskey at one time. As a matter of fact there were labels in the U D Archive for a J W Dant corn, rye, blended, vodka and gin brands. That was what I was thinking of but looking at the label there is not the tademark corn kernals.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 pm

I took a few better pictures of this bottle today. I'm planning to pop the top in the near future (since I've finished the bottle of Mellow Corn I brought back from KY) and wanted to have pictures first.

It should be quite interesting, I'll post some notes in the next few weeks.
Attachments
corn1.jpg
corn1.jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 12301 times
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 pm

And here is the back...
Attachments
corn2.jpg
corn2.jpg (28.51 KiB) Viewed 12298 times
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:46 pm

The rear picture of that James Walsh 8 year old corn whiskey is an evocative piece of Americana. It "is what it is", uncontrived and real, whence its minimalist elegance.

The front picture is nice too but in a more obvious, folksy way.

I hope it tastes as good as it looks but even if it tastes like gasoline any owner of that bottle should be proud.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby MikeK » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Gary,

I've enjoyed a few pours over the last couple weeks and it is quite nice. The nose is sweet with caramel, pear, mint, and a hint of cranberry. There is a slight alcohol burn in the nose and palate. The taste is sweet and creamy. It is light and elegant, very pleasant. The finish is light and sweet, with medium length.

This is completely different than the 'modern' corn whiskey I've tasted, Mellow Corn, which is a 4yo BIB. Mellow Corn gives a heavy nose and flavor of corn and corn oil. I like it a lot. This vintage JW Corn does not have the heavy corn presence, but is light and elegant, like a white wine.

What a fun comparison!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:58 am

Thanks Mike, very interesting. I am sure there were many flavors of corn whisky in the old days and sounds like you found a good one. I like the Mellow Corn too but I am sure that is just one of the many tastes corn whisky had in its heyday.

The fruity, winy notes derive from new make and the fact of these not being obscured or changed by new charred oak aging.

However a bourbon that offers the best kind of "fruit wine" (Jim Murray said "kumquats") taste married to traditional bourbon aging is Old Weller 107 Proof. That really is a find for me and assuming the bottlings are consistent I plan to have some always on hand.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Collector's Corner