Very Xtra Old Fitzgerald

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Very Xtra Old Fitzgerald

Unread postby KyleL » Thu May 11, 2006 6:58 pm

Hello, I know almost nothing at all about bourbons, but I'm here trying to find out some more about this set I have here. According to the label, it is a bottle of Very Xtra Old Fitzgerald from Stitzel Weller. It was barreled in 1957, and bottled in 1967. It's 4/5 of a quart, still sealed, with a green sticker saying it was bottled under the supervision of the governmental revenue bonded warehouse. This bottle came in a case with a lock (still have the key), and two small glasses with designs on them. I'm possibly looking to sell it, but would like to have some idea at what kind of value it has first. I am trying to get some pictures, which will hopefully be available shortly.
KyleL

Unread postby BSS » Thu May 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Ohhhh its worth about....ummmmm say 20 bucks. Send me a PM and I'll take it off your hands.
BSS

Unread postby Mark » Thu May 11, 2006 9:07 pm

That's a pretty desirable bottle for a collector... They don't show up on eBay often but look from week to week, maybe one will show up and you'll get an idea on the price. I love ya' bss but I don't wanna see someone get taken for that little! :lol:

I'd say Kyle that in very good condition, little to no evaporation, great seal and no signs of cork pieces floating around in it it'd probably go for several hundred bucks.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Strayed » Thu May 11, 2006 9:28 pm

Mark wrote:That's a pretty desirable bottle for a collector... I'd say... it'd probably go for several hundred bucks.

NO!!! PLEASE don't encourage the kind of idiot valuation that has destroyed any opportunity to learn about old Scotches. Monica Lewinski aside, there is NOTHING you can put into your mouth that's worth that kind of money. The most we have EVER paid for a bottle of American whiskey was just over $210 dollars. And friends of ours on this very forum have had the opportunity to taste that whiskey with us. Do you'se guys really think yer worth opening a "several hundred bucks" bottle for? :D
Oh well, all right, you are. But we couldn't really afford to do it.
Two-fifty, MAX! And that's only if the seller's daughter will deliver it personally!
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby Mark » Fri May 12, 2006 4:42 am

I've seen bottles of the very very old fitz recently go for upwards of $300-$400 so considering this is 'harder to find' that's the only reason I think it may stand a chance at going for more...

Is any bourbon worth that much? Hell NO. But will it fetch it, granted if all conditions are met, the description is good and the pics show great detail? Probably...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby KyleL » Fri May 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Haven't been able to get ahold of my digital camera, but I managed to take a few with the webcam of everything. If there's any other shots or info that would help, I'd be more than happy to supply it. I'm recently told that the designs on the glasses may be 24k gold. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures, but the designs are a key with a fluer de lays above and below it, with a line marking the 1 oz point. Rims are also the same material as the designs
Attachments
Picture 15a.jpg
The whole set
Picture 15a.jpg (90.74 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Picture 12a.jpg
one of the glasses
Picture 12a.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 7089 times
Picture 10.jpg
The bottle itself
Picture 10.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Picture 8a.jpg
case and exterior
Picture 8a.jpg (120 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
KyleL

Unread postby jvanwinkle » Tue May 30, 2006 7:43 pm

Hey Kyle, did you ever sel that botle of OFD?
jvanwinkle

Return to Collector's Corner