Not as curious as to how much it's worth, as to what it is.

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Not as curious as to how much it's worth, as to what it is.

Unread postby confusedtequliadrinker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 pm

I have an older (?) bottle of whiskey/bourbon(?) that I got from my grandmother after she passed, and I haven't the slightest idea what it is, or anything.

I have searched the internet for about 3 days, and I think I'm MORE confused than before, lol!

Anyway, here are some pics, if any of you guys(girls) can help me out.

Here is the cap it says Since 1788

The cap and how it opens

The bottom of the bottle where it's stamped The AMS Co

The top of the cap where it says Pat. Jan. 15, 1924

And the whole bottle, where it says full 1/4 pint and how much has evaporated since it was purchased.

I know it's old, since they don't make tops like that anymore, and I know the AMS Co is a KY company founded during Prohibition, but other than that, I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help! :D
confusedtequliadrinker

Re: Not as curious as to how much it's worth, as to what it

Unread postby Squire » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:16 pm

AMS stands for American Medicinal Spirits Co. that was founded in 1920 to provide prescription whisky during Prohibition. Your bottle is probably Pre-Pro whisky sold between 1920-1933.

1788 was the year Jacob Beam emigrated to Kentucky carrying a still with him. I suspect your whisky was made by one of his descendents at one of the various distillerys where they worked.

In 1935 Earl Beam was the first Master Distiller for Heaven Hill and the phrase 'since 1788' has appeared on labels of Heaven Hill Bourbon.

Whatever it is don't drink it, the air tight seal has long since been compromised and the fact whisky evaporated out also means microscopic airborne critters have migrated in. Oh I don't think it will kill 'ya or anything but you won't be doing your digestive tract any favors.
Squire

Return to Collector's Corner