3 bottles of Kentucky Tavern

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

3 bottles of Kentucky Tavern

Unread postby saltylongshanks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I just recently got some of my grandpa's belongings, and in a chest i found three bottles of Kentucky Tavern. These bottles are OLD. The pints were are were bottled in 1924. They also have labeled on them for medicinal use only. The whiskey has settled, but they have never been opened. I'm just curious if this whiskey is safe to drink and the value of these bottles. Thanks guys.
saltylongshanks

Re: 3 bottles of Kentucky Tavern

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Unfortunately, if what you mean by "settled" is that there is sediment at the bottom, it's probably no good.

Not sure whether "unsafe" is the right word (although if most of the alcohol has evaporated out, it isn't antiseptic anymore and all manner of organisms might be -- or at least have been -- messing around in there.

Whether safe or not, it's NOT gonna taste good! :sad3:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:59 pm

I agree with John, these Prohibition era whiskys are more in the nature of collectable curios now than anything else.
Squire

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:22 pm

When they're nice and clear (like you can read through the bottle), and no more than an inch or so below the original fill level, even Prohibition whiskey can be very good. Or not. It's a crap shoot, but one worth taking if the price isn't totally ridiculous. But anything cloudy in the bottle, and CERTAINLY anything with "stuff" floating or collecting on the bottom should be enjoyed for its history and its lovely label, and not consumed.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to Collector's Corner