Can someone help with ID of this

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Can someone help with ID of this

Unread postby DrifterBigJohn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 am

First and foremost,, This is a WONDERFUL SITE and I have learned a lot just from reading,,, I have received something strange and rare today... It is in the form of a BOOK inside a Gold colored Sleeve,,,, This Book when opened actually hides a bottle of Jack Daniels and two gold rimmed shot glasses,,, The green book says on the outer binder and front cover,,,,, HOW TO SELL GAS RANGES,,,on the bottom front it says,, DIXIE INDUSTRIES. INC.... ,, Open the binder and inside is a Toast to Friends,,,,, Now for the fun part,,, This Jack Daniels bottle is an Oval Bottle,, One Pint,,Embossed around the bottle..Do Not Re Use,etc,,,, The Label on the front,, Black Label,, has SOUR MASH written in larger font than the rest,,, The back label has Lem Motlow on it,, The Bottle is FULL,,, Never Opened,, Paper Stamp over the top of the lid,,, and a Georgia Tax Stamp on the bottle,,, the bottom of the bottle has embossed,,.. 55..64.. and a D925,,,, Can anyone help me figure this mystery box and bottle out,,,THANK YOU ALL FOR READING
DrifterBigJohn

Re: Can someone help with ID of this

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 am

I don't know that much about JD but those embossed dates probably correspond to when the whiskey was put into the bottle. Either 1955 or 1964. I don't know which.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Everything that Joe said above, plus...

The "Do Not Re Use..." statement molded into the bottle was required by federal law until 1964, so that confirms it's date as before 1965. I'd be inclined to go with Joe's 1964 dating. Also, I'd say that, even though this is a bourbon-oriented forum and there aren't a lot of JD afficianados here, you've got yourself a very valuable piece of Americana. And even though I'd at least CONSIDER giving my left nut for a taste of pre-Brown Forman Jack Daniels, I would actually suggest you keep everything intact.

I'd also suggest a couple other things...

(1) Google the Jack Daniel's-specific forums; some of those collectors (especially those in other countries) have VERY deep pockets and almost anyone into JD collectibles would be REALLY interested in making you an offer you might be shocked at.

(2) If you can find out any more information on "Dixie Industries" or about whether there once really WAS an appliance outfit (maybe Dixie Industries?) who used such a package as a presentation gift for their outstanding salesman of the year or something like that, by all means get ahold of it. Even if you have to pay someone to buy such documentation, you will get more than you paid for back.

(3) Well, probably not YOU. This is something you want to leave to your children or grandchildren. It will NEVER be worth less than it is right now, and will probably become much more valuable in a generation or two.

Any chance of you posting some photos for those of us who would enjoy just being able to SEE such a sight?
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Squire » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 pm

John I wouldn't think a 1964 bottling would be pre Brown-Forman since they purchased JD in 1956. Of course 1955 would be a different matter.
Squire

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:55 am

I may have been exaggerating somewhat, but even in 1964 it would not be all that far off; when B-F bought JD in the mid-fifties, they bought all the existing stock as well. Plus, it's unlikely that they made any immediate changes to the process. Some (many?) say there were NO changes and JD was made (at least into the nineties) the same as it always was. I don't really believe that, but I DO believe that JD from before, say, 1970 was different from the product we know today (or even yesterday)
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Squire » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree, I recall the bottles ca 1970 being 90 proof and carrying a 5 year age statement.
Squire

Unread postby Aries86 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 am

I got it from a yard sell and it is missing the center column and head . I got a head for it but now i need to find the center column or an compatible part.
Aries86
Aries86

Unread postby Aries86 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am

I got it from a yard sell and it is missing the center column and head . I got a head for it but now i need to find the center column or an compatible part.
Aries86
Aries86

Unread postby DrifterBigJohn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Thank you all for your help.. Sorry for the long delay in replying but I have had a lot of medical issues and just got back around to posting,,,,
After research and the help of the internet. I was able to get the story of the bottle and case. The Case was developed as a gift to SEVEN Salesmen of Dixie Industries, Inc in 1957.... The case was embossed on the side with the following,,, HOW TO SELL A GAS RANGE,,, and then the name Jack Gillespie,, It was made to resemble a book,,, but as you remove it from the sleeve,, and opened it. Inside was inscribed A TOAST TO THE FINEST PEOPLE ON EARTH,,, OUR FRIENDS... And then the bottle along with two gold rim shot glasses (square base, round lip),,,, After more and more research I found out the original owner of Dixie Industries Inc,,, SB RYMER,,, and his son,,, and then my wonderful find,, the granddaughter who was more than willing to give me all sorts of information,,,, She knew the man,, Jack Gillespie as one of their the companies top salesmen and went on to be a trainer of salesmen... It seems her grandfather and all the men on the sales team were big fans of Jack Daniels and Mr Rymer had the Fake Books with the Jack Daniels and glasses made for his Salesman and presented it to them at a sales conference...... Granddaughter Ms Rymer even sent me pics of Jack Gillespie,,and informed me that he and his wife had both passed away with no relatives and no children. She could not however explain how it had gotten from where Mr Gillespie lived,,Atlanta to Little Rock, Arkansas,,,, But she verfied it was true,,, it was genuine and it was gifted in 1957.... Oh by the way,, just to spin this little story into more Americana,, for those who do not know,,,I know I did not,,,, Dixie Industries, Inc actually became MAGIC CHEF,,, Yep Magic Chef,,, This story got cooler and cooler every step of the way and now Ms. Rymer and I have become internet Pen Pals and friends...... Thank you all for your suggestions and help,.., I thought you all would enjoy the final story on the mysterious bottle..... Oh and Christmas I gave the bottle, case and story to my 30 year old son to add to his collection,, He had a glass display box made for it and has it proudly displayed in his home,,,, Our next trip to the Distillery we will be taking it to show to the collectors over there,,, THANKS AGAIN,,,
Attachments
702292_10151647541902646_1896254967_n half.jpg
702292_10151647541902646_1896254967_n half.jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
DrifterBigJohn

Unread postby DrifterBigJohn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Another Pic
Attachments
702609_10151679483517646_1632544796_nhalf.jpg
702609_10151679483517646_1632544796_nhalf.jpg (14.79 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
DrifterBigJohn