Woodchuck Draft Cider

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Woodchuck Draft Cider

Unread postby Don Galligan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Now granted Woodchuck Draft Cider is not a beer, but I received it as part of a birthday 6 pack and it is a very seasonal brew, like an Octoberfest beer that is made from apples! I was particularly interested in this cider because it is made exclusively with Granny Smith apples, a very tart, but sweet apple.

The process used to make the cider is simple, mash the apples to get juice, put the juice in a temperature controlled tank, add champagne yeast and let it do its thing, filter it, and bottle it! Funny thing was no one in America had been doing it commercially so the folks in Proctorsville, Vermont obliged. The end product is a very simple, clean and refreshing hard cider, 5% ABV, that goes great with cold weather and pumpkin carving.

So on with a review. Nose? No nose here, must have cut it off despite their face!. Flavor? Very clean, crisp, refreshing, and a little bitter sweet. It literally tastes like biting into a Granny Smith apple. If you like them you will like this. My wife said she liked it, and she hates alcohol! She said it reminded her of the wine coolers she used to drink in the ’80s. Not much of a recommendation, but the best she could muster. Bottom line is if you like Granny Smith apples, or apple cider, you will probably like Woodchuck Draft Cider. So put on those overalls, flannel shirts, and mud boots, and bring some along on your next hay ride or trip to the pumpkin field…better yet, wait until you get home and crack it open while you are scooping guts out of your Jack-o-lantern.

So lets hear from you all. What do you like to drink when the weather turns?

-Don
Don Galligan

Re: Woodchuck Draft Cider

Unread postby RobotAZ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 am

I turn from ales to bourbon when it gets cold. During my ale season I drink heavy, light, dark, red, etc with no particular pattern. I never noticed that I change with the weather until my fiancee mentioned it. I'm still on the ales, but about to change over full time to bourbon soon.

Regarding woodchuck, it's so sweet that it hurts my stomach if I drink a whole one. Tastes like an apple Jolly Rancher. I hear from my favorite pub that people who won't drink beer will drink it so I'm all for a place carrying it.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Return to What Ales You