Beer lovers, a question.........

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Beer lovers, a question.........

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:07 am

Curiosity leads me to ask if any of our beer lovers on BE are familiar with Pale Ales that contain rye. The only one with which I am familiar is described below.

There is a brewery in Athens, Georgia called the Terrapin Beer Company. Their signature ale, called, appropriately enough, Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, contains rye as the name says.

This ale is quite highly hopped and the rye adds another touch of bite to it. This is a very good and refreshing beer and I try to always have it on hand. It is available on tap in some places in the Athens/Atlanta area, but they do not bottle the beer in Athens. They have it bottled under contract to a bottler in Fredrick MD.

Unfortunately, it is only distributed in an area within a few hundred miles of Athens, so won't be available to most of the BE audience. If you think you must absolutely have some email me and I will see what I can do.

It won the American Pale Ale Gold Medal at the 2002 Great American Beer Festival, so it has gotten some deserved recognition. As you have by now guessed, I like this beer a lot and was just wondering if there are other beers out there whose recipe includes rye.

http://www.terrapinbeer.com/
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

X

Unread postby ShowMe » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:36 am

X
Last edited by ShowMe on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMe

Unread postby Mike » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Showme Mike,

I too am a brewer............I have a batch in secondary fermentation right now. It is a Celebration Ale wanna be. It came in a 'partial grain' organic kit from an internet site. I have only done a full grain mashing once.........too much trouble for me and without the proper equipment, a bit risky. See the 'Pull My Finger Brewhaha' post below in this same forum.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to What Ales You