Recommendations for a Newbie?

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Recommendations for a Newbie?

Unread postby pamulli » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:45 pm

I primarily drink Bourbon, but lately have been enjoying a bottle of Macallan 12 year and wanted to find out what other good Single Malt's are out there (under $50). Anyone have any recommendations?...preferably something that isn't too difficult to find.

Thanks
pamulli

Unread postby Mike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:14 pm

I am no Scotch expert, but for the money, I find Balvenie DoubleWood to be quite nice. If you like the smokey, peaty Scotch some of the Talisker Scotch's are reasonable and good. I haven't purchased any in a while but I think the younger Highland Park Scotch's are also very good. And, Bowmore has some high quality, reasonably priced whisky that is very good too, e.g. Darkest Islay. We only have a small number of Scotch drinkers here.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby TreacleSponge » Thu May 01, 2008 3:46 pm

I mainly drink scotch but lately I’ve been trying a few bourbons, hence the lurking here :)

If you like Macallan, maybe try some other sherried drams – Mortlach, Glenfarclas, Aberlour. A little more expensive is Aberlour A’bunadh, but it’s very reasonably priced for a cask strength whisky.

Highland Park 12yo is an excellent buy, heathery honey malt and smoke; or try an Islay for something completely different - maybe Laphroaig Quarter Cask for a sweet peaty hit, or Ardbeg 10yo for burnt-stick smoke.

Hope that helps :)
TreacleSponge

Unread postby TreacleSponge » Thu May 01, 2008 3:48 pm

Ooops, just noticed the OP's date... I replied a year too late :oops:
TreacleSponge

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri May 02, 2008 3:07 pm

I honestly think the best recommendation for anyone that is looking at getting into Scotch and is looking for something for a beginner is: don't, either start or continue drinking bourbon. :D

It better :)
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

For me the challenge here is to find a single malt scotch for under $50.00. If you the Macallen then try something else from the same region since the regional tastes are similar. You can then expand your taste to a different region until you work your way up to the real peaty Island Malts.

Then again if you want to stay below $50.00, buy a good bourbon such as Old Grand Dad 114 or 10yo Rip Van Winkle 107 proof. Both have great flavor and will return some change from your $50.00.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Recommendations for a Newbie?

Unread postby gillmang » Sat May 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I suggest adding small amounts of malt whisky to a good blend (e.g., Teachers, Something Special, White Horse, Ballantine), you can use Irish malts too such as the Cooley brands which sometimes are cheaper than Scots malts of similar ages. For all practical purposes the Irish malts are the same as the Scots ones, for this purpose anyway. The initial investment will pay off over time, and you will end up with something tailor-made that you like (because you can adjust it to the taste you want). Say you buy Glenfiddich, Aberlour and Laphroig (the least costly in each range). Add to 20 ounces of Teachers, 1 ounce Laphroig, 2 ounces Aberlour and 3 of the Glennfiddich. The perms and combs evidently are endless. I consider that my own blends are superior to most malts I can buy except the very best such as Highland Park 18 years old, Talisker 10 and 18 years old, and one or two others.

Another option: buy a bottle of a good whisky (maybe find a 12 year old blended on sale), and three miniatures of the malts mentioned. You now have a quart of fine whisky for under $40.00...

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ebo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:57 pm

If you want to stay with strictly single malts, I would say that Highland park 12 is hard to beat for the price. I personally prefer The Macallan 12 and 18... but I definitely like almost any HP offering.

If you want to stay under $50 American, Johnny Walker Black and Chivas Regal are fine blends. I prefer JW Black myself. The JW site describes it as a "buttered toast" nuance to the flavor... that is pretty accurate. It is a very enjoyable drink for around $35.
ebo

Unread postby William » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Interesting finding a scotch section here. I really love bourbon, but scotch really intrigues me for all the flavor combinations and blends. Ive only bought Dewers white label and a small $5 bottle of Macallan 18, which I didnt like because of the leather and tobacco I guess it tasted like bourbon when it goes bad too. Ill try Balvenie Double Wood, Glenmorangie and Highland Park next
William

Unread postby Roscoe » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Don't rule out the 14 year Balvenie Carribean Cask; finished in a rum barrel.

Roscoe
"Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited".....James Thurber
Roscoe

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Thu May 03, 2012 5:09 am

what types of bourbons or Tennessee do you like. are there certain characteristic you like and dislike.
dickelfanaustralia

Return to Scotch Whisky