Anyone a fan of J&B? Also.. J&B JET and Ultima

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Anyone a fan of J&B? Also.. J&B JET and Ultima

Unread postby Satty Beach » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 pm

This is what people drank back then and there is nothing wrong with them. Tastes change and peoples taste buds mature and they move on, that's all. There was no dearth of now "de rigueur" single malts and blends were and sometimes still are considered superior.

What really happened was prohibition and Canadians and Scotchs got cemented in the public psyche as superior. At base value these spirits are bitter, aromatic which is a tricky combination, one that a lot can go wrong with. Hence, it's easy to spot a bad one. So GGrandad knew bad booze when he seen one during prohibition and passed his drinking preference on to his kids. Not only that but it's always important especially during the 50's to have anything imported. Then, during the 70's-80's, quality stopped being a ghost issue, young folk started drinking more rum, tequila, vodka and such ie anything but what their Dad drank. And, of course anything but Bourbon. Which, after the whole industry gets knocked on it's a$$ during the 20's along comes WWII and where are you going to get raw mat'l? Not to mention the studgyness of it and no Jordache wearing futurite in wraparound sunglasses and a Walkman is going to drink "old dirt floor cabin mash made the ol fashioned way" ANYTHING.

But yeah, Chevas is great. Last time I had it, 10 years ago stuck on the ground in Singapore. Dewars is garbage or my taste buds changed. It used to be upper crust. J+B is acceptable, dry, bitter, alcoholics fare actually.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 pm

J&B is what we used to introduce those new to Scotch whisky. A competent, well crafted, easy drinking brand in the lighter style, it remains a favorite of many and has earned it's place as an old reliable stand by.
Squire

Unread postby limark » Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 am

I never tried this but would love t if i get chance :)
limark

Previous

Return to Scotch Whisky