Scotch in a Bourbon Bar

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Scotch in a Bourbon Bar

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:20 am

Bourbon's Bistro's owners asked my advice on some scotch whisky to carry in their bar for the die hard scotch drinker that comes in every now and then with bourbon fans. They have Pinch blended scotch at the bar now and that is a good quality blend, but they were thinking about one or two single malts as well. I suggested Talisker because, well I like it, and The MacCallen since it is very popular. What would you have suggested?

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 pm

I'd add an Islay malt such as Lagavulin, Bowmore or Ardbeg. I'd also consider Cragganmore, Springbank or Dalmore's Cigar Malt.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:24 pm

They only want to add two. Which two would you choose?

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:28 pm

Balvenie 15 year old single cask / cask strength - bourbon wood.
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:03 pm

Balvenie is a good choice and it bears a closer relation to Bourbon that many other malts.

For a second choice, I'd go with Talisker, too, which always (in a funny kind of way) reminds me of bourbon too.

I am not being very original I guess.

I'd advise them to pull in one Irish whiskey, say, Jameson 12 year old or maybe Redbreast, a pure pot still.

And don't forget Canada (go with 40 Creek Barrel Select).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:47 pm

I think I'd add a Lagavulin and perhaps, Oban......both single malts and both very different from the other. I think even the ladies could drink the Oban!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby White Lightning » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:14 pm

Enough good one's have been mentioned to fill two slots. I'd only add that think about die hard bourbon fans being limited to TWO choices. Do you put Pappy 20 as one of the two or perhaps Stagg? Great choices but lower budget (die hard) drinkers might not be interested in the price of the Pappy... some don't like anything but "Kentucky Strength" whiskey etc. To me you run into the same sort of problem with single malts, especially when you talk about "die hard" drinker / fan. Some scotch drinkers like specific regions - two doesn't adequately satisfy the regional choice let alone those that have preferences with in each region.

Also be careful if in case your suggestion is taken literally, Macallan is what I believe you are talking about. There is something similar to the spelling you presented McClelland or soemthing like that which is a blend off (I think from Bowmore / Suntory products).
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 am

I agree with you as far as the limited numbers making it a hard choice. Even so I can understand why they only want a limited choice. Their plan is to encourage bourbon as the drink of choice but if a die hard scotch person comes in to at least have something they can drink. If the roles were reversed, I would be happy with Elmer T Lee and Pappy 15 yo.

Macallan is what I meant - I am not sure where the extra "C" came from.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby White Lightning » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:03 pm

Mike:

I've been thinking...

Given the strategy and thinking I got from your reply, I'd probably bring in the Balvanie particularly the 15 year old (single barrel to bottle).

If I am not mistaking it lives in a bourbon cask. It also is one of if not the most bourbon influenced single malts I've ever enjoyed. The brand commands good ratings and is recognized by most single malt enthusiasts earning better than passing grades (by most).

That said, your friends might train the tenders when pouring for a patron, to direct the patron to particularly pay attention to the bourbon influence in the said dram. Perhaps a skipping stone to the wider selection of American whiskies available at the said location. :idea:

PS:

I know when a strictly bourbon or American whiskey drinker says I want a scotch that I can relate to and won't smash my ability to enjoy, I often recommend this item (Balvanie 15). On most accounts the bourbon enthusiasts have been able to relate to it and does not wince at what they taste. I don't think it is limited to me either as I've since seen others recommend the same item under the same or similar circumstances. Maybe this is the item your friends can turn in the opposite direction bringing a Scotsman to America (which was what the lightbulb was about above).
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby MGillespie » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:02 pm

I think the Balvenie 15 is an excellent suggestion...it's one of my favorite single malts. I would also agree with a Talisker, but let me also suggest the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. It's maturation period ends in small quarter-sized casks the way the Scots used to do things, and that increases the wood/whisky contact, which gives it a more intense flavor that bourbon drinkers might like...

Mark
MGillespie

Return to Scotch Whisky