Laphroaig or Lagavulin

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Laphroaig or Lagavulin

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 pm

I am seriously torn about my next scotch purchase, Laphroaig 10 year/cask strength, Lagavulin 16 year old. It is an internal war that has me scouring the internet for answers. So i go to the one place i can get a wide range of answers from and weigh the options now i do love the smoke of Finlaggan and the brashness it brings to my whisky cabinet.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Laphroaig or Lagavulin

Unread postby Landrum » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 am

I could be wrong on this but I have heard that Finlaggan is young Lagavulin.

If you want to try a true Peat Monster, go for the Cask Laphroaig.

Both are very good whiskies and you really can't go wrong with either.
Landrum

Unread postby Squire » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 pm

If I had to choose it would be Lagavulin.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Found out i am 20 bucks short this week, so it will be laphroaig at trader joe's. Shame if it wasn't for money i would've had more options.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Squire » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Well there's always next time.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Squire wrote:Well there's always next time.

Thanks to a good friend of mine i will be getting a older scotch, not a islay sadly he cant stand islay but i might be able to convince him to spring me the 30-35 for lagavulin, if not he says glenmorangie lasanta which i am okay with.
GBrough

Unread postby ebo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:31 pm

If given the choice, I'd opt for the Laphroaig cask strength. I'm as big a Lagavulin fan as there is, but The Laphroaig is just a peat monster............ and I love the peat!
ebo

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 pm

I will be saving up money, once class starts up again i have no choice but to save money and direct towards a bottle of lagavulin 16 or laphroiag cask strength. After that with my saved up money comes a bottle of glenmorangie 18 year old to celebrate my gradution
GBrough

Unread postby vince » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:34 pm

I would go for the Laphroaig Cask Strength.
vince

Unread postby Mike » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 pm

My opinion is that in its style of scotch, there is nothing better than Lagavulin. I say that as I sip a smidge of Ardbeg Uigeadail Traditional Strength (108.4 proof) with a nice splash of water (I have no Lagavulin on hand, a serious gap in my liquor cabinet) and am enjoying it very much. I do like the rounded sweetness of malt whiskies, and the smokey/peaty/heathery/ cast of scotch.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 am

I would get the Lagavulin first. It has a really nice balance of everything I like in a scotch. If you feel the need to step up to something more robust, the Laphroaig will knock you out with peat and iodine, and has a thick oily mouth feel. I like having both around to cater to any particular mood I might be in at the time. Both are excellent pours, it's just that ones a Ferrari and the other a monster truck.

A few weeks back, I was enjoying some Lagavulin and was wishin for a little more peat and smoke, so I added a touch of Laphroaig to my glass. Let me tell you, it doesn't take much of the latter to affect the former. Even the smallest splash seemed to be overkill. Next time it will be added one drop at a time. Better yet, I think I will try and find a bottle of cask strength Laggy 12 (oops, meant 12, not 16 - thanks Landrum). I have heard they make it, just have never seen it.

Cheers,
RG

Thanks
Last edited by RandyG on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyG

Unread postby Landrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:35 pm

I think the only cask strength Lagavulin is 12 years old.
Landrum

Unread postby leomitch » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:03 pm

I prefer the Lagavulin. Of the various bottlings, the 12 year old is my favourite, although there is nothing wrong with the 16 year old and the Distiller's Edition. Laphroaig is a little too medicinal for me, but that doesn't stop me from drinking it if offered. :)
If you want to try an Islay Single Malt that is not in your face with peat, smoke and iodine, try Bunnahabhain 12 and 18 year old. Both are excellent. Once tried, you will always want more.

Cheers
Leo
leomitch

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:44 pm

I got a bottle of the laddie ten, amazing and bunna is my next buy.
GBrough

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:23 am

Landrum wrote:I could be wrong on this but I have heard that Finlaggan is young Lagavulin.

If you want to try a true Peat Monster, go for the Cask Laphroaig.

Both are very good whiskies and you really can't go wrong with either.

I have comments/questions regarding Islay Scotch. I wanted to try an Islay and after reading numerous reviews and consulting Ralfy.com and others, settled on Laphroaig 10 year (standard offering). I haven't tried it yet. My expectation is that it is somewhat of a peat monster but a good drinkable example of an Islay. Are my expectations in line with reality?

I also have a bottle of Highland Park 12 year. How would experienced scotch drinkers compare the two ( Laphroaig/Highland Park)? Another question, I have tried Glenlivet 12 year as an example of entry level Speyside. Actually I like it but would also like to try something a little more complex and less mainstream but at roughly the same price point. Any suggestions?
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Next

Return to Scotch Whisky