Opinions about scotch

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Opinions about scotch

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 am

Hi, i am curious about Highland Park 12 year and Balvenie 12 year my taste lean towards oban and glenmorangie and i want to expand out of the three i know which are Macallan, Oban and Glenmorangie. Do any of you got any recommendations for someone who is still experimenting with scotch whisky.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Opinions about scotch

Unread postby Squire » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm

GB if you like Oban I believe you will like Highland Park which has a very similar profile while also being richer, rounder, fuller and peatier with a balance that may be equaled but not exceeded by other brands.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks squire, i saw a bottle when i was at the Scottish Games in Monterrey this weekend but it was like 60 bucks for the 12 year. Still bevmo has it for like 41.99 and Balvenie for 43.99.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Squire wrote:GB if you like Oban I believe you will like Highland Park which has a very similar profile while also being richer, rounder, fuller and peatier with a balance that may be equaled but not exceeded by other brands.

I like oban because it has a fruity feel to it, while having some spice, a smoothness, and being a balanced drink that is also an enjoyable dram any day of the week.
GBrough

Unread postby Landrum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Since you are experimenting, I will only mention whiskies that are on the lower end of the spectrum (cost wise, not in quality).

You did not mention whether or not your Macallan experience was with their bread and butter sherried whisky or if it was with one of the newer Fine Oak presentations. So, I would suggest that you pick up a bottle of Aberlour 12 yo for around $40. You can get the 10 yo cheaper but I would start with the 12. This will give you a good sherry experience without breaking the bank.

Then I would definitely purchase the Highland Park 12 yo and no, you should not pay more than low 40s for it.

On to Islay. You can go one of two ways here if you really want to experience peat. Go with the Laphroaig 10 yo or the Ardbeg 10 yo. Both should set you back about $40 - $45. The Laphroaig has much more of the medicinal peat blast while the Ardbeg hits you with an equally powerful yet more smokey finish. Think smoked sea stuff.....and salty.

Old Pulteney 12 yo is next on the list. We're talking high 30s here so definitely your wallet will thank you. Your taste buds will too. It's a salty dram and one that should not be missed.

That should get you started. All of the whiskies I mentioned are good drams and high quality stuff yet gentle on the wallet relative to their older siblings.
Landrum

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I have macallan directors edition which is silky smooth, so far i have not had the fine oak. So far everyone i know hates islay malts but i still want to try them in my area ardberg 10 year is around 55 bucks same with laphroig.
GBrough

Unread postby Landrum » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Of the two (Ardbeg and Laphroaig), the Laphroaig is a bit cheaper. I think I saw it this past weekend for 42ish. I live in Tennessee. Ardbeg can still be found around here for under $50. I could be wrong but I was thinking it was around $45....at least, that was what it cost the last time I purchased a bottle which was about a year ago. It may be up around the $55 mark now. If that is the case, go with the Laphroaig 10 and know that you are drinking one of the peatiest whiskies made.
Landrum

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Here in california our prices are a bit higher thanks to tax on alcohol.
GBrough

Unread postby vince » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Landrum is right on the money with his recommendations. I would also add Glenfarclas 10 yr old. Its a nice sherry finished scotch that is very reasonable and for another islay whisky if Coal Ila 12 year old has a good price to it (i have seen it from $50 to $72) i would buy it (at the $50 price point)
vince

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 pm

For a friends 21 what do you recommend he has lighter taste than me when it comes to whisky any ideas, i was thinking glenmorangie de la santa oquinta ruben or nector.
GBrough

Unread postby vince » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Good choices!
vince

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey i got the bottle of highland park and we almost finished it in a night, the highland park and my oban are down to about a quarter of the bottle now. Next on my list is some bourbon to replenish my stock then get more scotch.
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I was a Scotch drinker before I was a bourbon drinker and Landrum's advice is spot on. For the money, in my opinion, the cask strength Scotchs from Macallan (116.8 proof), from Ardbeg (Uigeadail 108.4 proof) , and from Aberlour (a'bunadh 120 proof) are excellent buys. They are very rich and full flavored........ and you get to choose the proof by adding water. Nice to have a sip of them at around 95 proof. They are so different, but each is good in its own way.

Actually I like the Ardbeg at full proof. Still, as Landrum says, Highland Park strikes an almost perfect balance, you get an excellent example of the strengths of a malt whiskey (a round and deep sweetness with hints of honey), of a Scotch Whisky (the aromas and tastes of the Scottish Highland wilds and its vegetation, and the sea with its salt, its iodine, and its seaweed).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:29 pm

How about bowmore 12
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:47 pm

GBrough wrote:How about bowmore 12

I have a decided taste for Bowmore's Darkest Islay, which is not as expensive as many Single Malt Scotchs, and probably in the price range of the Bowmore 12 YO.

But, my next Scotch purchase WILL be Lagavulin 16 YO......... the best of the best (my opinion) of the smoky Scotchs. I think it usually sells in the $80 range.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Next

Return to Scotch Whisky