Disappointed by Ardbeg 10?

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Disappointed by Ardbeg 10?

Unread postby Cuitarded » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:57 am

Hi All,

Over the past 6 months I've been getting into scotch. My first tasting was of the new Laphroaig 18 year and absolutely loved it. Since then I've tried Laphroaig's 10 yr cask and Quarter Cask. I still prefer the 18 year however. Outside of Islays I have tried some Macallan and The Glenlivet 15, and while I liked those, it made me appreciate Islays that much more.

Since I am such a fan of Islays, and I've heard so much about the Ardbeg 10 year, I picked up a bottle. I have to say I was disappointed. I was expecting something big and intense. Despite the "untamed" moniker I found it rather subdued and subtle. Still a great scotch, but if I had to choose I much preceded the aforementioned Laproaigs.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Ardbeg 10? Perhaps I am a bit spoiled since the Laphroaig 18 was my first scotch. I discovered later on it was very highly rated (though some prefer the 15 yr).

Can anyone recommend some other Islays that I might enjoy?

Cheers,

Kris
Cuitarded

Re: Disappointed by Ardbeg 10?

Unread postby Crusty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

lagavulin mmmmmmmm.....
Crusty

Unread postby vince » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 am

Lagavulin 16 year old and Caola Ila 12 year old (if you find the cask strength Caola Ila buy it).
vince

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 pm

It's hard to go wrong with Lag 16.

If you're looking for peat, it's hard to find more than what Laphroaig 10 offers. You have to remember that age is not peat's best friend. If you crave smoke and phenolic, younger is better!
ebo

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 am

ardbeg 10 will be too light for you. I found it quick, refreshing, oily, light, excellent.

On the subject of islay. I dont like laphroig! Why? Cause I hate the smell of Hemp. As for as I'm concern people that like laphroig must be pot heads. One review said it was like bong water. Laphroig from what i understand uses a lot of heavy peated water. Does anyone know is lagavulin is the same?
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby ebo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 pm

Well, I love Laphroaig and I can assure you, I'm not even remotely close to being a pot head. :lol:

Lagavulin isn't anything like Laphroaig, other than they are both Islay whisky.
ebo

Unread postby Shell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

ebo wrote:It's hard to go wrong with Lag 16.

If you're looking for peat, it's hard to find more than what Laphroaig 10 offers. You have to remember that age is not peat's best friend. If you crave smoke and phenolic, younger is better!

Lagavulin 16 Year is an outstanding Islay whisky!
Shell
Shell

Unread postby Shell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

ebo wrote:It's hard to go wrong with Lag 16.

Lagavulin 16 Year is an outstanding Islay whisky!
Shell
Shell

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:24 am

Can Ardbeg 10 batches can get too spirity and burn cause this would bother me.
I'm thinking buying my first big bottle. I think there standards are high so nothing to worry over. Had 2 minitures from different years. Fantastic. Drank straight.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby saffawhisky » Sat May 04, 2013 11:07 am

Very disappointed by Ardbeg 10.

I'm a great Single Malt whisky enthusiast and have tried more than 20 different brands. Islay, of all, is me (and my wife)'s favorite region. We love the peaty/smoky character, especially in winter time. And to narrow it down, Lagavullin will win any time!

We heard about the most peaty/smokey whisky, Ardbeg, and when the opportunity begs, we bought one. Well, we are now wasting it on whatever chance we have - Irish whisky, cocktails, with a cigar etc. Its not nearly as peaty/smokey as other Islay's which we love, like Laphroaig, Lagavullin, Coal Islay etc. But the thing that irritates us the most, is its over-powering medicinal, phenol taste (and having a pharmacist as wife, doesn't help at all!). Whenever I drink it, I think of hospital and operations I had.

Sorry, Ardbeg will not get my money ever again.
saffawhisky

Unread postby limark » Thu May 16, 2013 2:27 am

You can try greygoose, dewars ,eristoff.. I am sure you will love these ...
limark

Unread postby Landrum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I love Ardbeg 10 and it remains an economical choice for those of us who enjoy Islay whisky. I think that it is much less medicinal than Laphroaig (Laphroaig CS is my favorite of the Islays). To me, Ardbeg 10 has like a smoked oyster-briney-sea-smoked fish taste to it that is wonderful where as Laphroaig has a much more medicinal/iodine, peaty kick. I love Islay whisky!

To each his own.
Landrum

Unread postby Brodon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:08 am

I'm a great Single Malt whisky enthusiast and have tried more than 20 different brands. Islay, of all, is me (and my wife)'s favorite region. We love the peaty/smoky character, especially in winter time. And to narrow it down, Lagavullin will win any time!
Brodon
Brodon

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Brodon wrote:I'm a great Single Malt whisky enthusiast and have tried more than 20 different brands. Islay, of all, is me (and my wife)'s favorite region. We love the peaty/smoky character, especially in winter time. And to narrow it down, Lagavullin will win any time!

I hate it when someone, for example Brodon, uses someone else's post (see Saffawhisky's post above) without their permission and without even saying that they are 'borrowing' (stealing) it. Low Class, Brodon, or better yet, no class!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:34 pm

My downright favourite scotch is glenmorangie, as for islay i am saving what funds i have for a bottle of lagavulin 16 year old. My tasting of glenlivet 12 year old gave me an appreciation for their brand and for the lighter aspects of their single malt. Next on my list is either lagavulin 16 or bowmore 12 depending on if i get to costco or bevmo first.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Return to Scotch Whisky