BALVENIE 12 YEAR SINGLE BARREL DOUBLE WOOD

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

BALVENIE 12 YEAR SINGLE BARREL DOUBLE WOOD

Unread postby Landrum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Any of you here tried this Scotch? If so, please share your opinions. I am interested in purchasing a bottle but would like some feedback first.

Thanks,

Landrum
Landrum

Re: BALVENIE 12 YEAR SINGLE BARREL DOUBLE WOOD

Unread postby MacinJosh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Landrum wrote:Any of you here tried this Scotch? If so, please share your opinions. I am interested in purchasing a bottle but would like some feedback first.

Thanks,

Landrum

It's a solid pour. If I recall correctly I got a fair amount of citrus and fruit combined with a soft oakiness. Unfortunately, I've never sat down with a pour and formally reviewed it so I can't supply any tasting notes.

For what it's worth, I liked it. If possible, try to get a small sample from a local retailer. Mine general has this one open behind the bar. It's also a common pour at various Scotch tastings.
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby p2min » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 pm

I can't remember any specifics about this drink. But what I do remember is that I really liked it (a lot). I paired it with a Padron Anniversary 1926 an that was a great experience. The 15 yr is also a very fine drink as well.
p2min

Unread postby Ettore » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm

One of my favorite bottles but I am not expert in the review lingo so I'll leave it at that.
Ettore

Unread postby limark » Thu May 16, 2013 2:22 am

You should go for eristoff ..
limark

Unread postby SuperiorStTradingCo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:29 am

My girlfriend's father gave me a bottle for Christmas last year and I was very impressed. Very smooth, fruity, oaky, with a mild bit of a smoke. I would like to try an expression with it aged in sherry casks for longer.
SuperiorStTradingCo

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:58 am

I think it's a great scotch for people who like bourbon. It's got some familiarity in taste but also lets you know that it ain't a bourbon. A great pour when compared with the standard offerings of scotch that you see at bars (Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, Laphroig 10, Macallan 10). For my tastes, it's usually a toss up between Macallan 10 and the Balvenie 12 double wood. Balvenie being sweeter to me. The only negative is that I use to have a boss that would drink the stuff so it always reminds me of him in my head, so unfortunately I avoid it now.
fenderbender4

Return to Scotch Whisky