Springbank 12yr Claret

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Springbank 12yr Claret

Unread postby MacinJosh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Cracked open a Springer 12yr Claret, recommended by my buddy Tim Davis. Great call too! My thoughts:

Springbank 12yr Claret 54.4%

Nose: Lovely ripe fruit jumps out of the glass. Orange peal and citrus notes. Soft smoke and a whiff of red wine. Interesting!

Taste: Rich, creamy entry that quickly gives way to a splash of smoke and salt. Red fruit including grapes combined with a mild pepperiness unfolds mid-palate. A bit salty on exit.

Finish: The layers are beginning to unfold. A mild sweetness lingers with this long, pleasant finish. An oaky nuttiness of salty cashews hangs around on the back of the palate.

Rating: This is a very respectable pour. Complex, well rounded, and full of layers. The smoke, fruit, and wine play well together and give this one a nice balance. I'm scoring it a 91.
Attachments
IMG_3335.jpg
IMG_3335.jpg (102.77 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Re: Springbank 12yr Claret

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 am

Are campletown salty like Old Pultney cause that is too strong for me. I am interested in trying Campletown cause they air dry there cask and do everything old fashion.
dickelfanaustralia

Re: Springbank 12yr Claret

Unread postby vince » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm

JOsh

I just picked up this Scotch yesterday. Thanks for the review. I will look forward to opening the bottle!
vince

Return to Scotch Whisky