Cigar question

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Cigar question

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Fri May 09, 2008 12:56 pm

What if you humidifier were filled with bourbon instead of distilled water? Would the cigars become infused with that flavor while in the humidor??

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri May 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Absolutely Gayle. I once used a 50-50 mix of Rum and Bourbon in one of my humidors. The flavor it imparted was unmistakable. Not everybody, likes their cigars flavored with spirits. I just happen to be one who likes them either way.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby JH » Sat May 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Just an FYI, if you're going to try it you might want to use something besides your "main" humidor.
A Rubbermaid container & a 1/2 shot(glass) of the liquor should accomplish the same thing. When you're through experimenting you can wash just wash & air out the Rubbermaid container.
I've used Rubbermaid sandwich containers for years as a traveling humidor, you shouldn't have any problems.
JH

Unread postby bunghole » Sat May 10, 2008 5:05 pm

JH wrote:Just an FYI, if you're going to try it you might want to use something besides your "main" humidor.
A Rubbermaid container & a 1/2 shot(glass) of the liquor should accomplish the same thing. When you're through experimenting you can wash just wash & air out the Rubbermaid container.
I've used Rubbermaid sandwich containers for years as a traveling humidor, you shouldn't have any problems.

EXCELLENT ADVICE, JH!

When I first started out, I used what was called a 'tuperdor'. I lined the bottom with thin sheets of spanish cedar that comes in some boxes of cigars. While infusing your cigars with bourbon you will also be infusing the spanish cedar of your humidor. Once the alcohol evaporates out the thick sweet bourbon infused cedar will become a breeding ground for mold, thus turning your expensive humidor into so much firewood.

You're a smart man JH.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Cigarnv » Sun May 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Infused cigars are truly an acquired taste so it may be best to do a few. I would suggest dipping a small paper napkin in bourbon and sqeeze out all excess bourbon. Toss this and a few cigars in a ziplock bag for a few days...
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"
Cigarnv

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Mon May 12, 2008 1:42 pm

These are all great advice and tips. Thanks you guys.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Return to The Humidor