Let's Burn One!

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Let's Burn One!

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:A nice cool evening in Pennsy. On the bourbon deck, a nice pour of Party Source Four Roses Single Barrel and a box pressed Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Maduro. Sublime combination.
Joe

Joe, you're killin' me! Sublime is an understatement.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby JH » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Bolivar Cofrida Oscuro & 2006 Thomas Handy rye. This was another good match, with plenty of flavor & body from the cigar which matched well with the Handy cut to ~ 110 proof. The strenghth (stronger cigar) & flavor of the cigar paired well with the Handy's taste, IMO.
*** FYI - Got the cigar in the JR Cigars humidor special - 50 cigars & a smaller humidor for $99. Nice variety of cigars, IMO, for the price, all "premiums" which would cost more than $2 each if bought by the box. Pretty good deal for anyone wanting to try some different cigars without buying a box of them. The humidor seems OK, finished on all 4 sides & a good seal.
*** I have no affiliation with JR's, just passing on some info.
JH

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 pm

You just can't beat JR's deals!

Buy 'em. Smoke 'em! Love 'em!

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby RJW » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Tonight a La Flor Dominica box press and several fingers of 4 roses small batch
RJW

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:26 pm

It was 70 degrees on the Bourbon Deck tonight so I re-lived last Wednesday night at the Bistro in Louisville with a pour of J.W. Dant 8 y/o, 86 proof from 1969 and a Romeo & Julietta Dominican Churchill Tubos, both of which I took along to the Bistro last Wednesday. It brought back a great memory of sharing these items with our good friends in Louisville.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:11 pm

A crisp autumn evening on the bourbon deck with a pour of Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o Single Barrel and a box pressed Gurkha torpedo. Life is good.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby JH » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:05 pm

H Upmann petit corona sized Habano & Buffalo Trace. Great cigar, heavy bodied & very flavorful, with an "in your face" Habano taste. The cigar somewhat overwhelms the Buffalo Trace but is still a good combo, but it would probably be better with Stagg or Handy. The friend who gave it to me said to smoke it after a full meal & he was right :) . Wish I had more of these, & I usually don't like very strong cigars.
JH

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Last night was my youngest grandson's 16th birthday. My son (Bourbon Bob) and I celebrated with a pint of Old Forester Bonded from 1980 and a Hoya De Monterey Havana. It just don't get no better than that.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Havana Montecristo #2. I don't get to enjoy many of these. Maybe two or so a year. I am lucky to have friends that love me.

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby enzo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:33 am

Had a wonderful pairing last night with Eagle Rare 10 and a La Flor Dominicana Salomon.

I've also been smoking a lot of the La Flor Dominicana factory press IIs. Great cigars.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Starting the New Year's Eve festivities early, I found myself digging into my humidor for one of my few remaining AVO Signature Lonesdales. I've paired that with the equally remarkable Charter 101 proof. The sweet spiciness of the smoke really compliments the sweet and spicey character of the bourbon. The drying tobacco flavor goes hand in glove with the tobacco accents in the finish of the bourbon. There are also some very complimentary leather notes in both. Neither the bourbon nor the cigar over power the other. Harmony is ensconced.

Saint Linn - :smilecigar: :beer:
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:31 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S DAY - 2009!

A friend of mine has just arrived with a bottle of 10 year old Eagle Rare to celebrate the day. I didn't even have to deliberate as I walked to my humidor. I reached in and quickly fished out two H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon Churchills with a good four or five years of age on them. The sweet yet spicey Cameroon wrapper is an easy match for the sweet yet spicey flavor of the Eagle Rare! An awesome pairing to be sure!

For those of you that may not know, true African Cameroon leaf is quite thin and very fragile, but very flavorful. The Cameroon leaf on these sticks is some of the finest and flawless that I have ever seen. The veins in the leaf are smaller than small - they are tiny. So much so that they make the much more expensive Arturo Fuentes blush with embarassment. The roll and draw on these sticks are as close to perfection as you will find. The burn is both even and cool. The core blend of tobaccos in the body compliment the wrapper in the very same way that has made the A. Fuentes such a well respected and sought after vitola. In a blind smoke off I know that I could not tell the difference in flavor. The H. Upmanns are no cheapie bundled stogie, and are a tad bit on the expensive side, but they are far easier to to find and buy at about one half to two thirds of the price of Fuentes.

Now I really must get back to my friend; the Eagle Rare, and FOOTBALL!

Linn - When Tobacco Is Outlawed - Only Outlaws Will Have Tobacco!

And we'll be real easy to find and arrest, DAMMIT!
bunghole

Unread postby merlin87 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:10 pm

This evenings choice is a Padron 1926 with a glass of Russells Reserve Rye.
I have taken more good from alcohol than it has taken from me.
-Winston Churchill

Johnny C. Barrett
Merlin87@earthling.net
http://homepages.otelco.net/merlin
(100% Microsoft free WEBsite)
merlin87

Unread postby enzo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:33 pm

I'm gonna go with a La Flor Dominicana Grand Maduro Cabinet, and some Rock Hill Farms. Wanna see how a spicy maduro plays with the somewhat spicy fruitiness of the RHF.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough.
enzo

Re:

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm

I've got to go to the dump in the morning, but after that I'm going to fish out a Partagas Edition Limitada from Havana that has been aging for three years now. I'm thinking a glass of Wild Turkey Rare Breed would pair up nicely.

Linn[/quote]

That's my favorite cigar! I'll take a Partagas Corona (Havana) above pretty much anything, inasmuch as like larger ring sizes. I love that cigar with a glass... life just doesn't get better. BB
BuffaloBill

PreviousNext

Return to The Humidor