Wake up stogie lovers

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Wake up stogie lovers

Unread postby padron » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:56 pm

No new posts in the stogie section since February? Wake up lovers of the hand rolled fat boy............it's summer time (for those of us in the great white north). Time to sit on the deck with a fire in the fire pit, sipping some Kentucky nectar, and complementing it with a full bodied Nicaraguan thats big enough to savor for an hour and a half. Does it get any better?

I'm new here, so let me hear some of your favorite pairings. I know "bunghole" likes Ridgemont Reserve 1792 & a Partagas Spanish Rosado. Me, I'm obviously a Padron man (4000's) with a little Buffalo Trace or Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

...any other good combo's out there....I only have about 3 months left before I have to retreat to the smoking lounge...also known as my garage.....
padron

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 am

I don't smoke cigars on a regular basis and I prefer my pipe, but you do have a good idea about the grill and cigar nights during the summer. How about this for an idea for discussion - post the brand, style and size of a cigar here once every two weeks or so. The members can then go to their local tobacco shop and purchase a couple of the cigars and discuss what bourbons they paired the cigars with and what worked best for them. You will have to limit your choices to a cigar that can be found in most any decent tobacco shop, but that should still be a wide range of smokes.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:47 pm

bourbonv wrote:I don't smoke cigars on a regular basis and I prefer my pipe, but you do have a good idea about the grill and cigar nights during the summer. How about this for an idea for discussion - post the brand, style and size of a cigar here once every two weeks or so. The members can then go to their local tobacco shop and purchase a couple of the cigars and discuss what bourbons they paired the cigars with and what worked best for them. You will have to limit your choices to a cigar that can be found in most any decent tobacco shop, but that should still be a wide range of smokes.

Ok I'll start.

Right now I'm enjoying a CAO Brazilia Piranha (this one's two years old) with Sam's bottling of Rock Hill Farms on my porch, and it's a great combo, as it is with GTS, WTRB, ORVW 15 (old bottle), WT Rye, Saz Rye, VWFR Rye, Binny's ETL . . .
TrueBarrel

Unread postby JH » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:30 am

Smoked a Licenciados President with Thomas Handy last night. It was a good combo (Handy was cut to ~ 100 proof), although a medium bodied cigar would have probably been better. The Licenciados is a mild bodied cigar.
I like the Handy a lot, & the reviews here describe it better than I could. I will say that the Handy tasted better to me with less of a cut - I kept adding a little water & tasting until I got to ~ 100 proof. I'll post a review when I try it that way with a heavier bodied cigar.
JH

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:43 am

Good idea Mike!

Last nite, I had Rocky Patel Old World Reserve along side an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2006 that was open and in the back of my cabinet. They both nicely compliment each other. The Birthday Bourbon was, I believe (The bottle was finished and I threw it away!) 95 proof and very robust to balance with the equally medium to strong Rocky Patel.

The Rocky Patels are a great line of cigars. Every Tuesday I can get a buy-one, get-one at my local liquor which has a small humidor room in it. This makes the Rocky Patels a better buy as I wouldnt have one as an everyday smoke.

The Birthday Bourbon which I wasnt crazy about on its own in the past, sure tasted better with that cigar!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:38 am

Michael,
Interesting review. Does your liquor store have a large line of cigars? It is interesting that more and more liquor stores are carrying some selection of cigars since the two do go together so well.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:50 pm

Mike . . .

Yes...the liquor store have a very nice line of cigars and clearly are encourging the pairing of their equally well stocked liquor store.

About 3 weeks ago, this same liquor store sponsored a "Cigar Tasting Dinner". There were about 6 cigars offered. Open boxes for cigar #1 as you walked in the door. That during the "coctail hour" of the dinner which most there (men and women both) had dark spirits. Even tho this is wine country!

As the dinner progressed, they walked around with open boxes offering the next cigar as they talked a little about it as we continued dinner.

So, we all basically smoked and ate all nite long...My last cigar, which the guy said was the best of the nite, I brought home with me (I'll post which one it was later . . . It was a medium to heavy bodied cigar as I recall him saying) I guess I need to fire that one up!

Any pairing suggestions from anyone?

It was a very fine nite.....
BourbonBalls

Inexpensive whisky & cigar

Unread postby JH » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:13 pm

In keeping with Mike's call for reviews of inexpensive whiskey in the review forum, here's a matchup of Early Times & Diet Pepsi with a Famous Dominican 4000 Robusto.
Early Times is my favorite whisky mixer with cola, & I was drinking it long before I started tasting "good" bourbon. I put ~ 2 shots of ET in a 20 oz. glass with ice & pour Diet Pepsi or Coke close to the top. I'll then keep adding ET until it tastes right to me - the ET taste comes through well, but not overly strong.
I don't believe the Famous (Smoke Shop) Dominican 4000's are available in most cigar shops but I buy my cigars online or mail order - I'm the opposite of Mike, I drink an occasional glass of "good" bourbon but smoke a lot of cigars :) .
Anyway, the cigar is a mild Dominican with the Dominican flavor profile and some spice. The cigar & drink went very well together, IMO, with the mild cigar (& spice) complimenting the sweet richness of the ET & Pepsi.
The cigar was fairly one dimensional, as was the drink, & this was nothing exceptional, but very nice on a warm summer late afternoon after fishing.
*** I bought these cigars after reading a good write up on these in a cigar forum - buy a bundle, get one free with free shipping - came out to $0.80 for a hand rolled Dominican cigar - Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Famous Smoke Shop except as a customer.
JH

Return to The Humidor