New to cigars and trying to pair one with bourbon

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

New to cigars and trying to pair one with bourbon

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 am

As the title states i am new to cigars, i have had 2 and my second one left me sick that was over a year ago and i want to give cigars another chance. My main issue is the strength this is coming from an occasional smoker like when we just had a rough final but i want to move onto the classier smoke and pair them with my bourbons and scotch's. Any recommendations i can afford cigars up to 15 dollars.

My bourbons are
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Rowan's Creek
Elijah Craig 12 year small batch

My Scotch's are a smaller selection
Macallan Directors Edition
Kirkland 20 year speyside single malt sherry cask.
Singleton 12 Year Singlemalt
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: New to cigars and trying to pair one with bourbon

Unread postby vince » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:34 pm

With Wild Turkey I would go with any of the Diesel cigars (Diesel crucible if you can get it). For your scotches I would go with a Bolivar. Both Diesel and Bolivar are medium to full bodied cigars.

While I do not see any Islay scotches on your list, if you drink them I would get a cigar with a maduro wrapper.
vince

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm

vince wrote:With Wild Turkey I would go with any of the Diesel cigars (Diesel crucible if you can get it). For your scotches I would go with a Bolivar. Both Diesel and Bolivar are medium to full bodied cigars.

While I do not see any Islay scotches on your list, if you drink them I would get a cigar with a maduro wrapper.

Thanks, I hope this time i dont throw up after one the owner of a cigar shop gave me an extremely strong cigar and i was not ready for it.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 am

If you are a seasoned cigar smoker, I'd suggest a Diesel Wicked. Superb cigar but full bodied.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:If you are a seasoned cigar smoker, I'd suggest a Diesel Wicked. Superb cigar but full bodied.
Joe

I am trying to become a seasoned cigar smoker, i am going to work up from al capone's and small cigars to robusto's so i can adjust.
GBrough

Return to The Humidor