Old Joe Distillery/Dark Eyes Vodka

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Joe Distillery/Dark Eyes Vodka

Unread postby DebbiSheese » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:20 pm

I recently found a couple old bottles. One was for Dark Eyes Vodka and another was for Old Joe Distillery. I have never heard of either one. I am just curious about it. I cant find anything much on history of it online. I found the bottles inside a wall in my house. I think the house was built in the 1960's or so. I would sincerely appreciate any history you can give me on it. Thank you.
DebbiSheese

Re: Old Joe Distillery/Dark Eyes Vodka

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:42 pm

I've heard of Dark Eyes Vodka but I don't think there is anything special about it. A Google search for "Dark Eyes Vodka" returned a lot of hits.

Likewise a Google search for "Old Joe Distillery" will instantly produce just about everything there is to know, including links to previous postings here and elsewhere.

The distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, known as Four Roses today bore the Old Joe name at one time, as did another distillery located nearby. The name "Old Joe" refers to Joe Payton, an early settler and distiller in those parts.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 pm

I don't think either of the "Old Joe" distilleries survived Prohibition, at least not as "Old Joe". The one that is now the home of Four Roses was called Old Prentice before Seagram's bought it. I think it was Old Joe before that.

The brand, however, was revived after Repeal. I have a mini-bottle-cum-cigarette-lighter that was distributed by "21 Brands" as a promotional souvenir. It's in pristine condition, so I doubt that it dates from as far back as then. I think "21 Brands" is still around, but Heaven Hill now owns the Old Joe brand. I don't think it's active anymore.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby PaulO » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:58 am

Dark Eyes Vodka is a bottom shelf brand that is stil around. They have also several flavored versions :sad3:
PaulO

Unread postby CoffeeGlss » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:39 am

Dark Eyes Vodka is distilled by The Clear Spring Distillery in Clermont,KY and Frankfort,KY.
The odd thing about that is there are only a handful of liquor stores in the state of Ky that even sell it. It's very plentiful in IN. Go figure
CoffeeGlss

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Of the two plants that bore the Old Joe name, one is the present Four Roses and the other one closed for good in the early 70s.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Bourbon Lore