Whiskey Barrel Manufacture

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Whiskey Barrel Manufacture

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:00 pm

During The Years Continental Distilling operated they had a giant Barrel making Plant in Marcus Hook Pa and all our Coopers including Ludy learned the art of Barrel making and taking apart and putting back together there. I am not sure if i ever posted it here but i have a picture of the 6 gal Barrel Ludy had to make to pass the class he took in Coopering
at the Marcus Hook plant.

In the last years they made 120 Gal Barrels and even 320 gal barrels these were buldging Giants and When I showed fricky around the Plant I showed him one of the last of the Hoops from a 300 Plus Gal barrel it was giant.

Kinsey Worker -- Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby kybarrels » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Stave crates are put inside rum and tequila barrels. The stave crate is pegged together not nailed. The staves found in this barrel had paint on them. It could be lead paint. Lead paint or not, do you want to drink the liquor from this barrel? These barrels were first filled with Kentucky Bourbon then sold to make other liquors.
Why take the chance. Drink Kentucky Bourbon.
kybarrels

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:20 pm

You tried to sell this a year ago in this same thread. Sorry, still not buying it. If anyone reading this is curious what this is about, go back to the beginning of this thread.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby kybarrels » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:34 pm

New postby cowdery » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:20 pm
You tried to sell this a year ago in this same thread. Sorry, still not buying it. If anyone reading this is curious what this is about, go back to the beginning of this thread.

What do you mean your still not buying it?

I took the picture . The staves were in a barrel that came from a TOP rum and tequila distiller. We cut a whole truckload of barrels for planters. We ended up with a pile of these stave crates.
I like rum and tequila, BUT I don't think I will drink DARK rum or tequila again. My liver may end up pickled, but not painted.
kybarrels

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:44 pm

kybarrels operates the web site where the picture BAS posted originated. I stand by what I wrote earlier in this thread.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby NeoTexan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:35 pm

gillmang wrote:Aging rum on the ocean floor, though? I have never heard of this.I'd like to try it.

Gary

From their web site.....

Please note that unfortunately, we are not currently able to sell in to the US market. Feel free to still get in touch and we will keep you up to date on when we will be able to drop ship to you in the US and Canada.

Perhaps someone is going on vacation in the Caymans?
NeoTexan

Unread postby kybarrels » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:00 pm

KentuckyBarrels.com buys and sells barrels. We were contacted by a distiller that had barrels for sale. I believe we bought several loads. You can believe what you want. I am not trying to sell anything here, although I will always promote the best whiskey in the world, Kentucky Bourbon. The original post to this group was made by Bas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:28 am. The copyrighted picture was taken from my web site.
I posted the picture on my web site at: http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/european-whisky.html ..
kybarrels

Unread postby Bas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:32 am

See what i mean??
Bas

Unread postby NeoTexan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:56 pm

kybarrels wrote:KentuckyBarrels.com buys and sells barrels. We were contacted by a distiller that had barrels for sale. I believe we bought several loads. You can believe what you want. I am not trying to sell anything here, although I will always promote the best whiskey in the world, Kentucky Bourbon. The original post to this group was made by Bas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:28 am. The copyrighted picture was taken from my web site.
I posted the picture on my web site at: http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/european-whisky.html ..

To perhaps settle the issue once and for all, whould it be possible to inquire from the original owners what the items are and why they were in the barrell?

What they look like to me are very simular to things we make to use on shippments that are stapped down, to prevent the straps from doing damage to a load.
NeoTexan

Unread postby kybarrels » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Perhaps you missed the fact that the stave crates are INSIDE the barrels.
I'll tell you why they use the stave crates INSIDE the barrels. The barrels have been used first to make Kentucky Bourbon, then the spent barrels are reused to age other liquors. Who knows how many times these barrels are reused. The barrels we cut were first filled with Bourbon in the late 1960. That is 40 years of use. With each use of the barrel the liquor gets less benefit from the oak. The distillery puts the used oak stave crates inside the barrel so there is more oak for the liquor to come in contact with, hoping to help the quality of the liquor. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. They try to imitate the quality of Bourbon but they can't because they are using USED SPENT BARRELS.
The BEST use of the barrel is THE FIRST USE. That is one reason Kentucky Bourbon is the highest quality.
kybarrels

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Again Kybarrels you keep dodging very important questions.

How many loads of these have you found like this, where do they come from and have you inquired from the source why the staves were found on the inside?

When all you keep answering back with is, "That's why Kentucky Straight Bourbon is the purist, cleanist liquor and is the only one that should be consumed," it does sound like you are trying to sell more barrels. Since the more Kentucky Straight Bourbon that is drank, means more spent barrels for your company.

It sounds like a smear campaign for your own benefit.

Not discrediting your findings, just answer questions and give us evidence of actual investegating you have done.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby kybarrels » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:32 am

I know what distillery they came from. It is a BIG name distillery, not in Kentucky. Several crates had paint on them, not all. I did not look at all the crates, they went into the burn pile.
I don't get more barrels if people buy more Kentucky Bourbon. The number of barrels if fixed. They can only make so many and almost all of the used Kentucky Bourbon barrels are exported, and not by us. We serve the domestic market. I promote Kentucky Bourbon because of the quality and the JOBS it means for Kentucky. I live in the heart of Bourbon country. The loggers, stave mill workers, grain farmers, cooperage workers, distillery workers etc, are all my neighbors.
I have 17 different bottles of Bourbon in my collection.... wait a minute... only 17... I have to go, got to buy more Kentucky Bourbon.
kybarrels

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm

As I said before, when the original pictures were posted here, I went to the source, which is the web site maintained by kybarrels, who subsequently joined the discussion here.

I object to kybarrels' conclusion that because he found some kind of structure in a couple of barrels, after the fact (i.e., not while they contained any spirit), we should never drink rum or tequila. That's what he's 'selling,' and I don't think the facts he has presented support that conclusion. He also seems to think this is a big deal, I don't. That's all.

We all like bourbon and jobs for Kentuckians and all that good stuff.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Previous

Return to Bourbon Lore