New Oak Barrels

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:33 pm

I will second Chuck's opinion on Ed Hamilton. I have met him a time or two here at the Filson and he is a nice person who does great artwork. He also did a piece for the Getz Museum recently. The next time you are there look at a sample of his work - the bronze relief of Bill Getz. Great work.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:03 pm

bourbonv wrote:... By the way, what were your result when you googled bunghole?...

Mike, are you KIDDING??? NO WAY!!
If you want to "google the bunghole" you go right ahead, but you're on your own; I ain't goin' there! :naughty:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:08 pm

cowdery wrote:Point taken but, for the record, I actually did write the critique of Ed Hamilton's sculptures, at his request, for a small literary journal. Ed is a terrific artist, from whom I learned much. He is also an Old Grand-Dad drinker.

Well, Chuck, now I'm really amused.
I sure hope you were successful in gaining access to JSTOR's site.
It would seem only appropriate that you be deemed qualified to access your own article there. :laughing9:

Come to think of it, I believe I can relate to such a situation, in a straight sort of way. 8-)

And as a perfect comment-upon-a-comment, sculpter Ed Hamilton may enjoy an occasional glass of Old Grand Dad with you, but Ed Hamilton (I'm guessing this is a different Ed Hamilton, but now I'm not so sure) is also considered one of the world's leading experts on rum. Like you, he writes books and articles, and does some speaking appearances. Unlike you, though, or I or anyone else I know, he doesn't do this out of Chicago, or Cincinnati, or even Puerto Rico. He lives on his sailboat, drifting around the Caribbean like Jimmy Buffet without a band to support.

Oh, the poor homeless man.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ed earlier this year at Bill Owens' American Distillers' convention in Indiana.
We talked about rum and Barbados.
He didn't mention anything about his sculptures.

I really like the bronze Oscar Getz piece a lot.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Previous

Return to Bourbon Lore