Photocopy of a copy from the UD Archive.

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Photocopy of a copy from the UD Archive.

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:33 pm

I have an interesting document in my files copied from the U D Archive. The problem is that the source is unclear. It is a two page list from a magazine titled "Kentucky Distillery Directory and Statistical Information" and on the bottom is printed "November 1937" and "Kentucky Bourbon" with page numbers 10 and 11. I am unsure if "Kentucky Bourbon" is the name of the article or the magazine. Since the pages were all that was copied then it is hard to tell.

The chart gives a lot of interesting information. It has columns on the list for the distilleries in Kentucjy, their location President, VP, Treasurer, Secretary, Purchasing agent, Traffic manager and distiller. Not all columns are filled but I thought I might give the distillery and distillers that are listed. Only about 40% of the distilleries on the list show the distiller.

Beam, James B. Distilling Co. - Carl Beam
Blair Distilling Co. - N.O. Blair
Bonds Mill Distilling Co. - J.R. McMichael
Buffalo Springs Distilling Co. - Otis Beam
Churchill Distilling Co, - C.V. Muir
Cummins Distilleries - John Nevitt
Dant Distillery Company - A.F. Dant
Dant, Jno. P Distilling Co. - J.P. Dant Jr.
Daviess County Distilling Co. - B.F. Medley
Dowling Bros. Distilling Co. - H.P. Dowling
Fairfield Distilling Co. - Guy S. Beam
General Dist. Corp. of Ky. - Selby Hahn
Glencoe Distillery Co. - J. Arthur Ice
Glenmore Disteries Co. - H.S. Barton
Ind. Distillers of Ky., Inc. - Rupert Pletsch
Kentucky Senate Distillery - Mr. Nickols
Ky. Sour Mash Distillery - A. McClelland
Labrot and Graham - C.V. Bixler
McKenna, H., Inc - Sam Simpson
Old Joe Distilling Co. - M.S. Hawkins
Taylor, K. Distilling Co. - John G. Goss
Wathen, Jno. A. Dis. Co. - William Hayden

This is an interesting list. I can add a few more names such as Will McGill at Stitzel-Weller and Manuel Ice at Brown-Forman. THe person composing the chart in the magazine promises that the chart will be updated quarterly. There are several Beams and Dants listed on the chart but there are other family relations not so apparent. I do believe that Sam Simpson was Mary Hite's father and C.V. Bixler was either her grandfather or great uncle.

The K Taylor Distillery and the Jno. A. Wathen Distillery were examples of families trying to get back into the business after selling the trademarks and such to a bigger company, National Distillers in both of these cases.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby mozilla » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks for the great info Mike. You are a wealth of information.
mozilla

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Prof. Veach you might best help us by drawing family lines just as you started to do.

Such as; is J. Arthur Ice the son of Manuel Ice? A brother? An Uncle?

Ah Geneology! Now you have to be more than just a Historian. You have to be a Sociologist, and an Anthropologist too! It's a good thing you know a Sociologist & Anthropologist!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:13 pm

In the book Aunt Jo put together for the Getz, Descendants of Jacob Beam, she reproduces a document with the heading, "Kentucky Production Schedules (Corrected to Mar. 20, 1937)." It sounds similar. It shows each Distillery with its City, County, Mashing Capacity, Tax Rate per Barrel (1 yr. and 2 yr.) Distiller, and Rated Warehouse Capacity.

It lists 61 distilleries. Distillers are listed for all but 17. In the distillers listing there are six Beams, four Bixlers, two Dants and two Ices.
Attachments
Kentucky Production 1937.PDF
(114.33 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Photocopy of a copy from the UD Archive.

Unread postby hagoss01 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:09 pm

This thread is way old, but I found this post while researching my great grandfather, John G. Goss. I had always heard he was a distiller.
hagoss01

Return to Bourbon Lore