Bourbon distilled by veterans of the 1860-1865 war?

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon distilled by veterans of the 1860-1865 war?

Unread postby alagave1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:15 pm

I don't want to get off topic so I will not "name" the conflict in question - the name itself can be a point of argument!

I am hosting a Bourbon tasting next week and had the crazy thought of a theme revolving around Bourbons made by veterans of the unnamed conflict. Much to my surprise, there seems to be no handy information on the web. It has all been sanitized!

I do know that William, George and John Weller fought in the war and returned to the family business after the war. Unfortunately, W.L. Weller seems to be named after their dad.

I know that James Beuregard Beam fought but Jim Beam is named after his grandson.

I know that Major Benjamin Blanton supported the South through his purchase of war bonds, but he lived in Texas.

I know that Sam Houston supported the North in his position as Govenor of Texas.

In short, I cannot find much information about who may have served, much less which side they may have served on.

I may have to find another theme!

Does anyone have some information they can share?

Thanks in advance.
alagave1

Re: Bourbon distilled by veterans of the 1860-1865 war?

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm

I am not familiar with any distillers who served in the war and have a brand still alive today that they may have made in their lifetime. The closest I can come to is Geo. T. Stagg was a captain in the Union army and stationed in Lexington as an ADC during the war. he never made any Geo. T Stagg in his lifetime but did have "Old Stagg" if you can find a bottle of that.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Lore