The Book of Bourbon, American Whiskeys,

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

The Book of Bourbon, American Whiskeys,

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:22 am

Hi Mike

I just placed a bid on Ebay for the above mentioned book.
Do you, or anyone else here know if that was a wise choice?
It's buy Gary and Mardee Haidin Regan
Any thoughts are apreciated
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:55 pm

Thomas,

Please allow me to give you my thoughts on the Regan's "Book of Bourbon".

I like it! It's the very first book on whiskey that I have ever read. Gary Regan is a very able and entertaining writer. Mike will point out some inaccurate intel, but for a 'first bourbo-book' this one rocks! I bought it upon Chuck Cowdery's endorsement.

Now I'm just an old hillbilly so I'd never heard of 'tasting notes' before. Wine tastings - yes. Bourbo-tastings :?: :dontknow: So that aspect of the book really enlightened me. This started me on the path of seriously studying bourbon's color; aromas, and flavors. I'd never heard of a 'finish' before in my life, so I paid close attention to how a bourbon finishes it's life in the mouth and throat. I learned how to pay attention to the bourbon, and that in turn taught me how to taste.

It's like if you read writers that write well you will also become a better writer. I owe all my wackiness to Kurt Vonagut, Jr. I have many first and sometimes only editions in my library. Also as a Southener I read Mark Twain at a very early age, and keep his collected works close at hand.

If you listen to music that you like you will become a good listener. If you are a musician ( I'm a bassist ) and you paly in a 'jam band' be it rock; blues or jazz you will become both a better listener and a better musician.

I am the first bourbon writer to advance the theory that you should listen to your bourbon. Unfortunately if you drink as much as I do and do what the bourbon tells you to do - you will often find yourself in jail or at the very least end up getting banned from your once favorite internet site!

You'll enjoy "The Book of Bourbon". Gary Regan's greatest flaw - as I see it - is he never once yelled.....

PANTS AWAY!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
Last edited by bunghole on Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:52 pm

Funny you should mention it because I was going to review it down the road in a day or two. I would recommend it as a good book for your library.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:25 am

Thanks for the input.
Lets hope I end up winning the bid :lol:

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Return to The Library