Book Review: But Always Fine Bourbon

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Re: Book Review: But Always Fine Bourbon

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 am

As I stated else where I have this book the second edition signed by Julian but I have another book to read first. I don't get a lot of time to read so I don't know when I'll get to it but it's right here on my desk waiting.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:43 am

Before prohibition W L Weller and Sons had a fairly full prtfolio of brands, including "Stone Root and Gin". After prohibition they concentrated mostly on bourbon sales, but did have some other products in their line such as gin. After the family sold the distillery, they had thye complete lineup of Schefflin& Somerset, that included Gordon's Gin and Vodka and Johnny Walker Scotch.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby HawthornBev » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:08 am

Spent the rainy day yesterday reading my copy from front to cover. Great page turner that as some of you have already said makes you fill like part of the family when your through. As the amount of historical and technical information is great, but only balanced by the intimate details of the rearings of the van winkle family.

Reading this I couldn't help but sit the book down have way through and pour myself a Weller Antique to accompany the read...

Was so grateful upon finishing the book. I sent Preston an email to let him know how much I enjoyed reading about his family lineage.
Josh Durr
The Kentucky Bartenders Guild
www.MolecularBartending.com
HawthornBev

Unread postby nblair » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Not only is the book an entertaining read, its also eye opening to the differences between distilling then and now. Off the top of my head I think that the second distillation at SW came off the still at about 118-120 proof. That's at or below several barrel entry proofs nowadays.

Last time I was at BT they had several copies of the book for sale in the gift shop for $40. I highly recommend getting a copy.
nblair

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue May 18, 2010 7:24 am

When I was in KY for the ADI conference, we went on a tour including BT. You can't spend much time on this forum and not hear the name of Pappy Van Winkle. I really enjoyed this book. A different era in so many ways. A sad ending to the S-W company to be sure. Glad to see that a new generation is still working at making bourbon.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby bluedog20175 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 am

Finally decided that I wanted a copy of this book after focussing so much of my time drinking their family of bourbons. When I went to Amazon I found the price to be an outrageous $167 :shock:

But a quick call down to the Buffalo Trace gift shop got me the latest edition of the book for $40 plus shipping.

Whew! Dogged a bullet there.
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” -- Dizzy Dean
bluedog20175

Previous

Return to The Library