Bourbon Tasting Notebook

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Tasting Notebook

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:02 pm

The tasting book Thst I did with Susan Reigler is out now and you can order it on amazon. I am quite happy with the way it turned out, but I am looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Bourbon Tasting Notebook

Unread postby Chris » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Squire » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for the link Chris, this book is a must have.
Squire

Unread postby fricky » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:05 pm

During my recent trip to Kentucky I obtained the subject book. My comments are below.

The preface outlines the book's purpose of providing a logbook for recording an individual's tasting notes and bourbon preferences. It also includes details that define bourbon and information concerning producing bourbon.

The book contains detailed tasting notes (nose, taste, finish) from both authors. As many know and the authors clearly state, tasting is subjective and depends on an individual's palate. In fact, the authors often listed different descriptions. There are no right or wrong descriptions. The tastings are listed by producer. Since not everyone knows specific producers, there is a useful alphabetical index which lists all of the tasted bourbons and whiskies. It is a useful way to identify the producer of a specific bourbon. Each tasting section also includes the following: proof, age when available, mash bill when available, and relative Kentucky pricing. There are four useful indices - alphabetical listing of the bourbons, listing based on proof, listing based on style, and listing based on relative price.

The book is well organized and provides a helpful way to select bourbons for future tasting and a useful method for keeping a record of what you have tasted.
fricky

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm

I cannot add anything to Doug's review except to agree it is a great bourbon resource to have.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to The Library