Moderate Alcohol Consumption and Health

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Moderate Alcohol Consumption and Health

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:26 pm

In the "Industry News" forum today, Mark posted an excellent short article summarizing the health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption and the research supporting same. The author, Ruth Kava, mentioned that a longer article, entitled "Moderate Alcohol Consumption and Health" is available on the group's web site. In fact, it is a 36-page booklet available for free download in PDF fomat at http://www.acsh.org/publications/pubID.391/pub_detail.asp

Just to be clear, this supports the premise that alcohol consumption, albeit in moderation, is healthier than abstinence. While I recognize that the moderate part might be the challenge for most here, and acknowledging that there is no research, except in my fertile imagination, that shows excessive consumption as being a good health practice, this is important information when you are confronted by people who regard any consumption as unhealthy, and equally as important when confronted by people who still think it's only red wine that confers benefits.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:30 pm

Chuck,
I too found this to be an interesting article. Of course the key word does seem to be "moderate" use. Even so they are saying two drinks a day is considered moderate and I can live with that.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Strayed » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:53 pm

Chuck,
One may also encounter those otherwise-prohibitionists who might concede that even over-indulgence could be healthy if the alcohol were vile, bitter-tasting, and totally disagreeable. The opposition to alcohol of a significant contingent of those people is aimed at its tendency to produce pleasure, which they consider to be an evil which must be eliminated at all costs. I don't recall ever reading an article about the need to reduce or eliminate our consumption of cod liver oil.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Return to The Library