Corn Whiskey

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Corn Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:06 pm

Linn's post about a distillery makes me think about other products that could be produced at a distillery. Has anyone here an opinion on corn whiskey? I like the bonded Mellow Corn made by Heaven Hill. I would like to see an older version of and bonded Mellow Corn - say an 8 or 10 year old version. I have had some real old corn whiskey at United Distillers as we looked at barrels of old product for possible "Rare Whiskeys" for a collection, and I liked what we tasted. If rye can make a comeback, why not corn?

This product would have the advantage in costing less - corn is the cheapest grain they use for bourbon and they can re-use cooperage.

Any opinions?

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby tlsmothers » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:25 am

I'm all over the idea. I like Mellow Corn and have been begging for some for New York. I chuckle to myself everytime I think of being down at the Festival last year with everyone running around looking for Stagg and Tribute while Ben and I hit ever nook and cranny looking for Mellow Corn. :lol:

I'm envious that you got to taste some older versions of corn whiskey.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:10 am

Mike I'd say that would be a capital way of getting some revenue fairly quickly. You could also bottle some white dog to market right away.

You could also let some unpasturized apple cider harden up and run it through a pot still one time and make some excellent apple jack brandy. Put that up in some used cooperage for a year and it should turn out quite tastey.

:arrow: ima :idea:
bunghole

Unread postby Strayed » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:36 pm

I agree with Linn. I'd love to see bourbon white dog offered. It would probably go over well with the vodka/rum/grappa set, and since it couldn't be called bourbon (or maybe even whiskey) it would avoid carrying all that negative "old geezer" baggage that the bourbon marketers seem to treasure even more than sales.

We might even wind up in the same boat as Brown-Forman. Our corn whiskey and white dog might be so popular that no one under 45 will want our fine bourbon when its ready :laughing5:

Oh, here's a shot of our collection's corn section. Linn's promised me a bottle of J.W. Corn to add to it. And we're always on the lookout for others.
Attachments
CornWhiskey_plus.jpg
CornWhiskey_plus.jpg (132.58 KiB) Viewed 15248 times
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:25 pm

Imagine that... Corn Licka with a little color to it... and a label + some bearing age statements too??? LOL... I've only seen and dealt with the kind of corn that's clear as spring water and comes in mysterious half gallon bottles.

Coming from a line of notorious makers of the product (to bad the craft was NOT handed down to me), though I've often wondered what the outcome would be if say one refilled a "barrel purchase" - barrel with corn and let it marinade a few years...
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby KOJI » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:41 am

Here's a bottle I had.I forgot how it tasted but am pretty sure it was like Georgia Moon.I once found a wooden box of Georgia Moon BIB but the liquor store didn't have the bottle and wouldn't sell me the box too. Has anybody tasted this?
I would love to buy a white dog in a bottle. My customers love the corn whiskey we have.

Koji
Attachments
VFSH0069.JPG
VFSH0069.JPG (24.05 KiB) Viewed 15152 times
KOJI

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Strayed, with that picture of your corn whiskey stash, we may just have to stage a robbery. :lol:
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Strayed » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:15 pm

Is that anything like robbing a stagery?

Oooo, that's corney
Strayed

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:43 pm

There's no reason to rob John. Just knock on his door and he'll generously give you all you want, or at least all you can drink. The most he may ask is that you listen to more of those jokes. :wink:
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Strayed » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:36 am

The goddess told me to post a reply saying that no whiskey is worth that much. :shock:
Strayed

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:42 am

Strayed wrote:The goddess told me to post a reply saying that no whiskey is worth that much. :shock:

I have to agree with Linda! :toothy10:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby Strayed » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:56 am

But Linn, you've already paid the price! Oh well, I guess it's no whiskey you'll get! :salute:
Strayed

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:46 pm

I'll listen to all kindsa jokes and stories just to drink some good whiskey in good company. Hell, that's what we do in the Gazebo, ain't it? :partyman:
tlsmothers

Unread postby bunghole » Thu May 05, 2005 10:08 am

John,

I've finally picked up the two 750's of J.W. Corn that you wanted. Are you and Linda coming east any time soon?

:arrow: ima :smilecigar:
bunghole

Unread postby Strayed » Fri May 06, 2005 9:05 am

Not sure; probably late summer. Want me to bring you some of that WV rye? It's really not all THAT bad; think of a rye version of Georgia Moon.
Strayed

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey