Vat's Dis?

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Vat's Dis?

Unread postby Mike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Jest messing around, I wondered what Maker's Mark, Old Potrero Rye Malt Whiskey, and Beam's Red Stag would taste like vatted together. So I took 50 ml of MM, 5 ml of RS, and 7 ml of OP.

The nose carries a tad of the RS (I can identify the cherry aroma), a touch more of the OP (the rye spice nutty aromas) and a smidge of the MM leather.

As you would expect the taste is on the sweet side from the MM and from the RS. There is a decided rye bite in the finish courtesy of the OP. Overall, It tastes more like a potent cocktale with just a splash of marischino cherry juice than like a vatting of whiskies.

Pretty good, actually. Barleycorn wants to know when I will be making more of this stuff because it tastes like barbeque rabbit to him.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Vat's Dis?

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Sounds perfect, very 1885 Jos. Fleischman.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Mike--

I was just about to try a Red Stag Manhattan when I saw this post, and I have all of the ingredients! Next into the shaker -- I'll let you (and Barleycorn) know what I think.
Kevin

There's bourbon on the breath of the singer you love so much
BostonEnthusiast

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Fascinating suggestion! It turns out that I didn't have the exact ingredients -- I substituted MM Black for the red wax, and my Old Potrero is the 18th Century version. (Hopefully the more flavorful MM cancels out the more raw OP!)

COLOR: Dark honey (all constituents are about the same color to begin with!)

NOSE: I can detect all three components; the cherry from the RS over the medicinal OP, but a bourbon base sits behind it. Unfortunately, they don't knit together.

TASTE: Very cool -- MM vanilla yields to Red Stag cherry then the rye bite of the Old Potrero before coming back to bourbon with a cherry on top. Much more integrated than the nose.

FINISH: Smooth on the tongue (much smoother than OP alone!) with a little bite in the throat. All of the burn seems to come from the Old Potrero.

I think Mike nailed it -- this is a cocktail rather than a vatting, but an impressive one! (It's the cherry that puts it over, but the Old Potrero makes it serious.) I might try another mix, skipping the MM this time.
Kevin

There's bourbon on the breath of the singer you love so much
BostonEnthusiast

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:42 am

I think the Red Stag taste remains evident and suggests a cocktail because of the amount used, just under 10%. That does not sound like a lot but the Red Stag is quite sweet though. In the 1800's, flavourings were added in different proportions and 10% was by no means unusual.

Still, I looked again at Fleischman for his best bourbon blend (see the extracts of his book at http://www.pre-pro.com):

McBrayer Whiskey, 20 gallons
Mattingly Whiskey, 20 gallons
Monticello (Rye), 5 gallons
Prune Juice, ½ gallon

(McBrayer and Mattingly were both straight bourbons. Also, the prune juice can be peach juice or any other fruited extract, he gives recipes for various fruit-based mixtures for this purpose).

One-half gallon out of 45.50 gallons is about 1% only - very small. All his fruit mixtures were spirit (GNS)- based, and the Red Stag is even better being bourbon itself - just a very sweet one. The Red Stag is, therefore, a perfect substitute for a GNS-based peach or other fruit juice. So is Southern Comfort. So too would be a sweet port or sherry.

If you try these combinations with that small a percentage, I believe the addition will not be noticeable, yet it will have served its purpose which is as a catalyst, essentially.

Of course, the final taste will be a function of the specific components. Maybe the perfect balance would be reached with a 2% addition or even 5%. It depends on each case and each person's taste. Still, it would be interesting to try something close to what Fleischman advises. I may do this tonight.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:00 am

Alright here is my plan. For McBrayer I will use a ND Old Taylor 80 proof. For Mattingly, I'll use Bulleit. For the rye, I'll use a vatting of ryes I have: 4 ryes of at least 18 years old each. For the fruited catalyst, I will use probably Southern Comfort. This should work well, stay tuned.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Here is an update. I did try this, but I used a 15-bourbon/rye mixture I had on hand as the base. I added just a little rock and rye, Jaquin's, which has a lemony top-note. The result is excellent, a well-knitted whiskey with a rich chocolatey taste that resembles nothing so much as a Martell Cordon Bleu.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey