Rye Tasting Today

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderators: Brewer, brendaj

Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:35 pm

The boys got together for a Rye tasting today. Interesting results.
Joe
Rye Tasting 08-15-08 at Doug's.pdf
(9.4 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
User avatar
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite
 
Posts: 1803
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:40 pm

That is quite a tasty trio you assembled there, Joe. You gentlemen surely do live the good life, enjoying the very best of whiskies and smoking the very finest of cigars. Not mention traveling to Kentucky several times a year to attend the Bourbon Festival and Spring Sampler along with other worthy events. You've worked hard to earn the life you truely deserve. Enjoy!

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
User avatar
bunghole
Registered User
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am
Location: Stuart's Draft, Virginia

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for your kind comments Linn. We know we have it made but do not take it for granted. One of the most precious luxuries we have is the ability to get together with our Bourbon Brethren from time to time. That is truly special.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
User avatar
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite
 
Posts: 1803
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:12 pm

I think it is interesting that Rittenhouse won the competition given that it costs around half the price of the others. WT Rye is another good one if people like Rittenhouse. I have also seen Russel's Reserve Rye, but never tried it. I would be curious to hear if any of you guys have.
PaulO
Registered User
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Greenwood Indiana

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Paul,
I have never tried RR Rye but we drink WT Rye all the time. It is good whiskey. It probably would have done well in this tasting.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
User avatar
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite
 
Posts: 1803
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Thanks for your kind comments Linn. We know we have it made but do not take it for granted. One of the most precious luxuries we have is the ability to get together with our Bourbon Brethren from time to time. That is truly special.
Joe


Indeed, Sir, Indeed! Your kind deeds speak louder than your well spoken words.

Although he seldom posts, this week's host - Doug Fricky - is a gentleman of the highest caliber, and a man I am proud to call my firend. He is a true brother.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
User avatar
bunghole
Registered User
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am
Location: Stuart's Draft, Virginia

Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby fricky » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 am

Linn,
Thank you for your very kind comments. I don't post often, since most on this site including yourself know more about bourbon and have more discerning tastebuds than I.

Our little tasting group worked together and have been friends for many years. We enjoy getting together smoking cigars and drinking bourbon. A Southeren Gentleman such as yourself is always welcome to join us, if you venture north of the Mason-Dixon line. You are always welcome to stay at my house.
Doug
User avatar
fricky
Registered User
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: PA

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:16 pm

fricky wrote:Linn,
Thank you for your very kind comments. I don't post often, since most on this site including yourself know more about bourbon and have more discerning tastebuds than I.

Our little tasting group worked together and have been friends for many years. We enjoy getting together smoking cigars and drinking bourbon. A Southeren Gentleman such as yourself is always welcome to join us, if you venture north of the Mason-Dixon line. You are always welcome to stay at my house.
Doug


Thanks Doug! I do venture north form time-to-time, now all I need is $200 or so for gas to make the trip. :(
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
User avatar
bunghole
Registered User
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am
Location: Stuart's Draft, Virginia

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Wow, an impressive showing for Rittenhouse against Van Winkle. I (Dave) consider Van Winkle Rye one of the top five whiskies I've ever had, although I certainly like Rittenhouse. I'll have to get Tina to set up a blind tasting for me and see if that perception holds up.
Dave & Tina
angelshare
Registered User
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:09 pm
Location: Luray, VA

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:08 pm

angelshare wrote:Wow, an impressive showing for Rittenhouse against Van Winkle. I (Dave) consider Van Winkle Rye one of the top five whiskies I've ever had, although I certainly like Rittenhouse. I'll have to get Tina to set up a blind tasting for me and see if that perception holds up.


Dave, I thought that the Van Winkle ryes were sourced from select barrels of Rittenhouse rye. Also to the best of my somewhat limited knowledge what is being put into Michter's Rye bottles is actually rye whiskey from Wild Turkey. At least it tastes that way to me, but what would a bunghole know?

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
User avatar
bunghole
Registered User
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am
Location: Stuart's Draft, Virginia

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:35 am

bunghole wrote:Dave, I thought that the Van Winkle ryes were sourced from select barrels of Rittenhouse rye.


I didn't know that. With Rittenhouse being a HH brand, do you know what kind of arrangement there is between BT and HH on this?
Dave & Tina
angelshare
Registered User
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:09 pm
Location: Luray, VA

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:51 pm

angelshare wrote:
bunghole wrote:Dave, I thought that the Van Winkle ryes were sourced from select barrels of Rittenhouse rye.


I didn't know that. With Rittenhouse being a HH brand, do you know what kind of arrangement there is between BT and HH on this?


Hmmm. Dave I was thinking pre Buffalo Trace/Van Winkle working arrangement for sure, so I don't really know where today's Van Winkle rye is being sourced. I'll bet Julian knows! Let's ask him and see if he'll tell. Better yet maybe Bourbon Joe or Doug Fricky could ask him about it when they see him at the Bourbon Festival.

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
User avatar
bunghole
Registered User
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am
Location: Stuart's Draft, Virginia

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:49 pm

Julian tanked all of his rye a few years ago and is rationing it until he can get some rye from BT. There are about 6 more years to go.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
User avatar
bourbonv
Registered User
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Louisville, Ky.

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Oh well, someone's making the whiskey, and I still bet that Julian knows!
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
User avatar
bunghole
Registered User
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am
Location: Stuart's Draft, Virginia

Re: Rye Tasting Today

Unread postby barturtle » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

mozilla wrote:here is how I understand things...

Julians rye is now a blend of two ryes. The original made by Medley and Cream of Ky made at either Bernheim or BT(when it was AA).

Rittenhouse is made for HH by Brown Foreman.



I'm quite sure Julian has never revealed the source of his rye.
barturtle
Registered User
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:04 am

Next

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests