Wild Turkey Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey Rye

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:34 pm

I can't remember who, but somebody somewhere on this site praised WT Rye not too long ago. So I finally decided to try it. I think it's one of the best new discoveries yet that I found out from BE.com. That is one of the great things about this site. People that post here really know what is good. :)
PaulO

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Yes, the Very Old Barton 100 proof and 90 proof are very good. I get a little bit of wild cherry finish in the 90 proof after it sits a while.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Hey Mozilla! I lived in Texas for 17 years and I miss it! I come to Austin a couple times a year. I know Texas has W.L. Weller, and I HIGHLY recommend the Weller 12 year old 90 proof. Excellent bourbon. I live in Louisville and the next time I come down, we should get together. I stay with a friend who lives on Harpers Ferry Dr.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Barton

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:51 am

I have tried Barton 90 proof. That was yet another tip from this site. It is not easy to find in my area. I picked up a bottle in Nashville TN a while back. I found the Barton 90 to be pleasant and well rounded. I think if some one liked BT or EW they would also enjoy Barton. It's a bargain too. My brother once found a fifth of Barton 80 on sale being discontinued at a store by him. He was surprised how good it was.
I have tried Ten High too. At around $7 a fifth it's probably some of the least expensive real whiskey you can buy. Ten High has a bit of a burn to it even at 80 proof. It also has a slightly tart aftertaste to me. I guess I would sum it up by saying it tastes what I would imagine really young bourbon tastes like.
Old Crow is maybe a little better than Ten High, but not much. I won't say it's bad so much as unremarkable in every way. Several other bourbons in the price range are better. It is sad that Old Crow was at one time a premium brand.
PaulO

Beam, dusties, etc...

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:23 am

By now folks may have realized I'm not online eveyday, but when I am I allways try and catch up here at this site. Anyway, I haven't had Beam white label in years. I did try recently some Beam black label (again due to several good reviews here). I thought it was pretty good. I also sampled some JB Rye. I thought their rye was a lot like the Old Crow; not awful, but not good either. In the same price range you could easily do better. Ironically I can reccomend Old Overholt Rye, that I believe is also made by Beam. I think of it as the straight whiskey made in KY alternative to Canadian Club or Segrams Seven.
As far as "dusties" my only real experience was when my neighbor in MI gave me a bottle of Old Fitzgerald Bourbon and one of J&B Scotch. Both from the mid 1970s. The stuff from the '70s tasted quite similar to modern incarnations except maltier and smoother in both cases. I suspect that back then stuff stayed in the barrel longer before being bottled. I am not sure how the other people get dusties so often (buying them online?).
Scotch can be good, but I have it only on rare occasions. Such as when I am a guest and my host has some single malt. Overall I have discovered a rule of thumb. You have to pay around twice as much for Scotch as Bourbon to get the same quality. Even without the price issue I still usually prefer straight Bourbon or rye.
PaulO

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey