Irish on St. Patrick's Day

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Irish on St. Patrick's Day

Unread postby Martian » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:09 pm

I'm not Irish, but St. Patrick's Day always provides an excuse to drink some Irish whiskey. This year it's Clontarf Single Malt. Made by Bushmills. It's young and very fresh. Perfect for a spring day.
Martian

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:22 am

John and Linda O'Lipman celebrated the Gift of Blarney this evening with Greenore, an Irish single-GRAIN (i.e., maize) whiskey distilled at Cooley, of Kilbeggan.

Perhaps not the most complex whiskey we've ever tasted, but certainly worth a try, if only for the chance to see what 8 years of aging will do for corn whiskey. A good comparison would be with Old Charter 8-year-old, as that is about as close to "corn whiskey" as bourbon gets (over 80% corn -- at least last time anyone checked). Much of whatever difference you taste (and you will taste a distinct difference) results directly from the use of NEW charred barrels for the Old Charter, while Greenmore is aged in used bourbon and cognac barrels. Let's just say that it would take a more refined and well-tuned taster than "moi" to notice any influence at all from the bourbon or brandy.

I'd have to say it reminded me more than anything, of generic Canadian whisky. Come to think of it, one might (rather unfairly, to be sure, but not without reason) describe typical Canadian as "(used)-barrel-aged, damned-close-to-single-grain wheat whisky. If this was the flavor that Old Fitzgerald, by not using rye, was trying to emulate, I'm afraid they failed miserably.

Thank goodness!
As for Irish, I think I'll stick to Red Breast.
:hello2: (Yo! Mark & Chris: How 'bout getting some St. Patty's Day and other emoticons and dumping the 2004 New Year's guys?)
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey